SQ-14 took an hour to boil 10 gal.?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dale1038

Reaction score
We tried to put the passive oxide layer on our new keggle. No go. We will be doing 5 gal batches, but it took an hour to boil 10 gal. Boiled for a half hour.

It was cold out....and no windscreen.....will improving in these areas help us?

Seemed like we burned quite a bit of propane, but not sure.

We're brewing with this setup next time so.......

We're thinking the large volume and weather had a big effect? Fair enough??

Thanks!

Edit: this was bringing hose water to temp! Probably would save 15 minutes at wort temp!

I don't know what a SQ-14 is? Also what kind of outside temp are we talking about?

Are you saying it took 1 hour to get to a boil and then you boiled for a half hour past that? Total run time of 1 1/2 hours?

Well the weather and no windscreen is definitely going to have a big effect, but you might also pay attention to the mixture.

I have a SQ-14 and found that I really had to adjust the mixture initially to get good heat out of it, and sometimes for whatever reason it will get out of whack again, and I have to readjust it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQ4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I have two of the same burners for my HLT and BK. Yesterday it took me about 40-45 mins to heat 10 gallons from 40 degrees (hate my cold ass well water sometimes, unless im chilling!) to 180. I just go with the flow, get other things ready, have some breakfast while it heats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back