Cider taste before bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benblinkau

Reaction score
Hi all! I just tasted my cider before bottling and it was quite nice and dry with little to no sweetness... Will it sweeten up a bit in the bottles at all!? It was also very slightly acidic..

Just wanna know if thats the norm!

Cheers,

Beb

did you use potassium sorbate to stop the fermentation? if not, it'll continue to ferment, if there is any sugar left. it'll never sweeten up on it's own. what you're tasting is normal for fermented cider, with no back-sweetening. what you need to do is, while still in the fermenter, add some potassium sorbate to stop the fermentation, then some more apple juice and maybe some brown sugar for sweetness, then after a couple days, bottle

Yes, if you let cider ferment to completion, it will be dry. Unlike beer, with unfermentable sugars, cider sugars are all fermentable.

You may backsweeten the cider. For more info, look at www.makinghardcider.com.

I make a semi-dry sparkling cider, you can read about it in the sticky thread on stove-top pasteurization

It will sweeten slightly to your taste buds, but only because the rougher flavours will round off. You can add a non-fermentable sugar for an easy way to sweeten, but it doesn't taste great.

Go with what Pappers suggests, although it sounds like you've already bottled. If so, give it a few months and you're likely to love it anyway. Aged, dry cider is amazing.

Back