Precipitate Potassium Sorbate with Calcium

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

methane

Reaction score
So, my parents are bringing me a few gallons of cider, but unfortunately, it's got Potassium sorbate in it. Reading a liitle bit on this, I don't think my yeast will be able to reproduce in this case. But reading a little bit more about K-sorbate, I found (here: http://ingredientwizard.com/potassium_sorbate.aspx) that calcium ions will make it precipitate. So I'm now wondering if adding some calcium carbonate or calcium chloride into the mix will have a positive effect on getting my yeasties to reproduce.

Thoughts? opinions? Am I a crackpot, or a mad scientist?

Thanks,
Brad

http://books.google.ca/books?id=_L1c6rR-Mp4C&pg=PA50&lpg=PA50&dq=calcium+sorbate+solubility&source=bl&ots=IJstsUTTR-&sig=NEe4xpy2NaGWiinmnu4d2Vy2bX4&hl=en&ei=1DQDS-unHNXtlAfq9IXqAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CBsQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=calcium%20sorbate%20solubility&f=false

Calcium sorbate as a solubility of 1.2%. Not so much compared to other sorbates but I guess it would still be effective since it's used as an antimicrobial.

As for the precipitation with a calcium salt, you would need a soluble calcium salt, like calcium chloride, not calcium carbonate or sulfate.
You should also know the exact concentration of potassium sorbate otherwise not adding enough calcium ions would leave too much sorbate in solution. Too much calcium would leave an unpleasant taste (bitter/extremely salty).

Well... just drink the damn thing.:tank:

You'll be hard pressed to get sorbate to preciptate as it's calcium salt.
Sorbates are typically used in <1% wt/wt concentrations for the purposes of food preservation. (1) Which places you well within the solubility limits of calcium sorbate.

The standard means of purification (anion exchange, distillation, etc.) will destroy the cider as well. Have you read anywhere else that others have been successful in removing sorbate for the purposes of brewing?

Back