Two kegs in and I'm sold using syrups for variety rocks!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW...What's the scoop with sanitation. Should I pour the water on top of the foam or forget sanitation with this? I plan on kegging the water when I get back from Florida.

If you are talking StarSan then right over the foam is fine. At that amount the stuff has pretty much zero impact on anything. Besides letting you know it is doing its job of course.

If you are talking StarSan then right over the foam is fine. At that amount the stuff has pretty much zero impact on anything. Besides letting you know it is doing its job of course.

Yes, StarSan. That's what I figured, just making sure.

Just made my first root beer with the PM flavours. First time making soda. I am very impressed. Thanks for the info Tom

Glad to help... did you do it full sugar or some combination of other sweeteners?

I'm used to the Splenda sweetener (generic actually but same diff) so don't really notice it as being "bad" or "off flavor" but I am curious how a full sugar version turns out.

Finally placed my order... I'll throw some H20 on tap this evening.

(the quart bottles which take the 1oz pump are now available on their site)

Has anyone ever seen a tonic concentrate? I could save a boat load with that!

I did all full sugar by the book. I was thinking though could you just boil 5 gal of sugar and water and keg it and just add a drop or two of the extract.

Also I spilled some of the blue raspberry extract on my hand. and now I look like Chevy Chase off of Vegas Vacation if you know what I mean.

You talking about adding a drop or two of the extract to the glass before you fill with carbed sugar water?

I would feel a little off handling the pure extract... so concentrated that any mistakes/variations between 'drops' would result in pretty big differences in end product. Not to mention god forbid it spill...

Thanks for putting all this info together and keeping up with the questions. I just placed an order for sass, cream soda, and mango. Seems like a good mix. I may have missed it in the previous posts, but I assume you have a dual output CO2 regulator. I'm guessing you don't carb your beer up to 30 psi, right? They way I have my kegerator built up, that's going to require some adjustments, but hopefully it is worth it.

Yes I have a secondary regulator with four gauges.

Backwall.JPG

Right now 3 & 4 are water, with one carbing and the other in use. I want to put a Y on #4 and just have the water on four so I have more options but am in no hurry for that.

For you if all your beer is the same PSI and you don't fiddle with stuff like I do a dual regulator and a manifold should do it.

I'm excited to do this, Going to order a soda tap and extra kegs soon.

I am curious, is there anyway to get caffeinated soda via this method?

Sure, just use caffinated soda syrup and water directly in the keg. Remember, that these kegs were originally used for Coke & Pepsi, and sometimes when you get a keg you can still smell it, or see the last dregs of what was once pepsi. Then there's the guy somewhere who got his keg with ancient pepsi still in it.

The only "issue" with having soda directly in the keg is that some sodas will really leave it's odor in those o-rings and possibly the tubing, so it will probably be a dedicated line for a single type of soda. Try switching from rootbeer to sprite or orange soda (I know, I know, none are caf, but it's a flavor example) and it may not work well. There's some things about some lines not holding the odor/flavor, and barrier devices too.

Sure, just use caffinated soda syrup and water directly in the keg. Remember, that these kegs were originally used for Coke & Pepsi, and sometimes when you get a keg you can still smell it, or see the last dregs of what was once pepsi. Then there's the guy somewhere who got his keg with ancient pepsi still in it.

The only "issue" with having soda directly in the keg is that some sodas will really leave it's odor in those o-rings and possibly the tubing, so it will probably be a dedicated line for a single type of soda. Try switching from rootbeer to sprite or orange soda (I know, I know, none are caf, but it's a flavor example) and it may not work well. There's some things about some lines not holding the odor/flavor, and barrier devices too.

What Kevin said! Pretty much the only reason not to just pour the concentrate right in and make a batch right in the keg is for variety. I use the pumps so I can have half a dozen different syrups in the fridge ready to mix up. If I was only making one soda I would just load it up directly.

So, I just got back from the LHBS with some Maltodextrine, and I gotta say... this is the pièce de résistance of this whole method. I mixed .5 lbs of MD into what I estimate to be 4 gallons in my carbed keg. It adds a whole new element of mouth feel that will legitimize this as a home soda fountain.

I figure there's no risk to having it in the keg at kegerator temps, as it's nonfermentable and refrigerated. It also adds no flavor, etc. so it's just easier to add it to the water, as I'll want the effect in everything I mix.

I picked it (1lb) up for just over $2. I may go a little higher on the ratio for the next round. (whole lot easier to put more in than to take out, ya know..)

I like the Maltodextrin idea. Are you having any trouble with foaming now that you're viscosity has increased a bit?

No... I too used the epoxy mixing nozzle insert (I never used it WITHOUT it, in fact... so I have no comparison on that). If anything, I found that there was 0 head on the soda before, and now there's just enough for a very short time.

Not that head on a soda is all that important to me, but ya know... real sodas should foam a bit - esp. root beer! I might have to add some MD to the root beer extract pump just to make it especially creamy.

The root beer and rum was a [little too] good combo last night with the added MD.

My LHBS gal (shout out to Peggy & Rik @ winecraft of atlanta! - Great shop) told me that MD apparently is a task to dissolve (likes to clump and sit on top of water). I also had the issue that my keg o' water was the deepest in my kegerator (literally would have to pull three other kegs out to get it out.)

So, I opted to boil a sauce pan of water on the stove, dissolving the MD into it... I used a wisk and it wasn't really a problem. I did continue to boil it until it turned transparent again (It dissolves, turns translucent, and then eventually goes transparent again), and then add that solution to the keg while in the kegerator, stirring with one of my long spoons.

After that, I flushed the lines and could immediately notice a difference.

I can't speak to whether it will settle, but I doubt the solution was over the top. I'll keep an eye on the pours once it's settled, but again... I can't imagine this stuff coming out of solution.

Sounds similar to dissolving a gelatin. I would imagine once it is dissolved in water and stabilized it shouldn't fall back out. My next keg I might just throw the whole 5 gals on the burner, bring it to a roll and dissolve about a pound into it before carbing. Be interesting to see the difference.

Not to stop you, but that sounds like overkill... and an extra kilowatt hour to heat up that water just to cool it back down.

I create hyposaturated salt solutions for brining all the time by boiling a very small amount compared to the final brine volume and never have anything fall out. MD seems even less likely to fall out.

I will say it was impressive to see how much the MD gelled the small boil volume though. (FWIW, I felt it was fairly important to get that small boil into the overall volume prior to it cooling, as that might cause a problem.)

Let us know what ratio you use too, I'm curious about using a little more than the .5lbs/4gal.

The clumping from inadequately dissolved MD was the problem I had, as mentioned in your other thread. I still think that it should work well in a pump bottle. Though I'd probably advise not going thicker than chocolate syrup. (Req high viscosity pump, as per earlier post).

I expect more work though. Syrup & a bit of carbonated water, stir, then the rest of the water.

Though if the water viscosity is fine based on doing this with all sodas, sounds good.

How's the cola from this company? Does it taste closest to coke ore pepsi? I'm almost done with my keezer and I've planned room for a soda water keg and want to have syrup for a few flavors (and probably have some gin and rum in a pump bottle, too :p). Hoping to add the second reg and faucet later this summer or fall. Thanks for the idea!

So, I just noticed a layer of mold growing in my root beer syrup pump bottle... I guess I was a little naive to think that a mixture of sugar and water would keep for very long at room temp on top of the kegerator. (I also didn't go through it nearly as fast as I figured I would.)

I think storing my large pump bottles in the fridge will cause at least one frown from you-know-who.. maybe I'll just find a smaller bottle option. (FYI, can't store them in the kegerator... too cramped already.

Anyone have other storage methods & containers or experience with keeping syrups stable at room temps?

BTW, Mr. Green - I hadn't tried the cola at all, but now that I've added the Maltodextrin to the setup, it will be on my next order.

Yeah that is why I keep mine in the fridge and mine are sugar free. I can't see the sugar version lasting very long outside the fridge without picking up bugs and mold.

I'm not sure if there is any way to store it at room temp. Even in sealed bottles you'd get mold since every time you opened it you would be exposing it to air again.

As for the cola... I like it but, again, mine is sugar free so has a different flavor.

preservatives or refridgeration. Citric acid or sodium benzoate or Potassium Sorbate? (I'm mostly thinking about what Torani uses for their syrups)

Has anyone tried the 1ounce metered caps that they have in some bars? Sounds like it would sure beat doing 16 pumps!

I purchased their [prarie moon's] larger pumps which draw 1 ounce - it was very convenient, until I ran into my mold issue... :/ the pumps are a little large for the fridge, unfortunately. I'm still brainstorming on my go-forward plan.

Do you mean the 1-oz meter pour spouts to go on top of liquor bottles? Or something else?

While the concentrates certainly are yummy, they're full of propylene glycol and artificial colors. I've been wanting to make my own syrups for a while.

A few days ago I received this book for my birthday: Homemade Soda: 200 Recipes for Making & Using Fruit Sodas & Fizzy Juices, Sparkling Waters, Root Beers & Cola Brews, Herbal & Healing Waters, ... & Floats, & Other Carbonated Concoctions.

I've only tried a few recipes so far, but they were delicious. Cream soda is just vanilla and sugar water! And cherry flavoring is actually almond extract! Who knew?

Most recipes have alternate formulas for making syrups, using a soda charger, and fermenting. Definitely worth a look!

-Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
I can attest to the quality of the Prairie Moon concentrates. I make bottled sodas from them, including a coffee and chocolate soda, which sound odd but are delicious.

Just ordered six different flavors. Correct me if I'm wrong but some of these should be EXCELLENT for making mixed drinks........Not for ME!!!! For the wives that wont drink IPA's haha.

What does everyone do for sanitizing/cleaning of the kegs. I mean it's just water with some bubbles. Do you just refill with water once it's empty and go? Do you star san? I have a corney I cleaned like a year ago. I think I'm just going to star san it and fill it.

I think StarSan would be plenty good, I have been kegging for 5 years and I never take my kegs apart...I just run water and starsan through them.

Mike

For the soda water keg I just fill it back up. I don't even bother resanitizing it since, as you say, it is only water.

Right now I am waiting for an order of herbs (vanilla beans, Sarsaparilla Root, Licorice Root, Anise Star, etc) and am going to try my hand at making some all natural syrups. I am generally a substitute sweetener guy too but I will be using cane sugar this go round. Going for the all natural, old school, flavor. I'd really love to kick the synthetic bottled concentrates if I can.

Made my first homemade soda and yum!

It is called Anise licorice root beer...

anise-licorice.png

4.5 cups water
4 oz chopped dried licorice root
4 whole star anise
3 whole cloves
1 vanilla bean cut into 3rds
4 cups dark brown sugar (used the whole bag I had, think it was a bit short, maybe 3.5)
2 tbs maltodextrin (I did 2 heaping which was closer to 3)

Everything but the sugar and malto on a simmer for 15 minutes uncovered, add malto/sugar slowly until disolved, simmer another 2-3 minutes, let cool then strain into a container for storage. To mix use 1 part syrup, 3 parts seltzer. At that mix it is VERY strong to me but as I've mentioned in this thread I am more of a flavored seltzer guy than a full on soda guy. I'll be cutting it weaker which will mean it will last probably twice as long.

----

It had great head which is something I missed from the concentrates I used before this. It was also very sweet but then I've always done artificial sweeteners so expected the kick in the mouth on that one. Going to have to watch consuming these though... 4 cups of brown sugar is lots of calories, lol. The flavor is awesome with a strong licorice bite and aroma. Almost too strong really cause though I like licorice I am not a huge fan. I think it would be awesome cut with some sarsparilla or maybe ginger though.

I bought way more spices, both variety and quantity, than I really need but wanted to experiment. Once I get a couple recipes down though I can prepackage the ingredients and vacuum pack them so they are fresh and ready to be made. I have to admit opening a pound of cloves and realizing just how few you need to make something made me laugh, lol. It was awesome working with this stuff directly though as I had never done it before. The smells, specially when boiling were great... potpourri has got nothing on this stuff, lol.

My next batch is going to be a strong root beer or sarsaparilla I think. I need to find sassafras though as it is the only thing I am missing right now.

Latest posts

Back