Laughing Dog Alpha Dog - bad bottle or just bad beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found Alpha Dog in a single 22 oz bomber, and I've heard good things, so I picked it up. I snagged one from the back of the shelf, in the dark. At first glance, I did not see a bottling date, which was disappointing, because I like to drink IIPAs fresh.

It was AWFUL.

Upon opening/pouring, it appeared slightly overcarbonated. No matter how I tried pouring, it foamed excessively. The foam was SUPER stable and made a very rocky head, some of which dried in the glass after I finished, and I think I could've upholstered it into a mini-beer pillow. It was golden and hazy.

The aroma was not what I expected. It was medicinal and funky...like a Berliner Weisse crossed with grandma's medicine cabinet. There was a hint of floral/citrus hops, but it was overcome with the phenolic funk.

The flavor was VERY phenolic. Lots of Band-Aid mixed with something that was reminiscent of athletic/joint lotion. It was downright terrible. In the finish, I could distinguish a little citrus, but that didn't make up for the rest.

Once it settled down from the pour, the mouthfeel was ok. It had a very dry finish.

Overall...I think I got a bad bottle - likely infected. Also, upon further inspection, it was quite a bit older than I'd prefer - bottled about a year ago in August 2012 (the date stamp was faint, just embossed in the black paper of the label).

I'd try it again with a fresher bottle, but I'll be skeptical for sure.

I had it a while ago, experienced none of the flavors you highlighted. I would say you had an infected / very not fresh bottle.

My BA review:

Bottle to Pint Glass

A: Light orange with a 1.5 finger head. Small bits of lace all the way down the glass

S: Floral and oranges with a subtle bready notes

T: Sweetness up front. Strong pungent bitterness that lingers long and some orangey hop flavor

M: nice heavy mouthfeel for an IPA, great carbination. Honestly this is probably the aspect of this beer that it does better than other IPA's

O: Good-to-great beer, Bitterness lives up to the style. Nice orangey hop notes. Mouthfeel is excellent. Wouldn't mind drinking another given the opportunity.

Back