Belginer weisserry-ish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badlee

Reaction score
This is my inspired plan,which I hope to high heaven goes well.
I ma going to brew a 10 ltr batch of Wit/Berliner weisse cross over, using 800gr of pils malt, 100gr acidulated malt and 400gr of flaked triticale.
I was thinking of a 15 minute boil with about 5 IBUs of something.

I have 2 lacto starters going, one from grain and the other from lacto. Casei. Of the 2 starters, the grain starter tastes tart but smells a little nutty/woody. The Casei starter is really very tart to the point of almost a pucker, smells like crab apples and has a sweet after taste.
I am thinking of pitching the two starters and letting them go for about 2 days before pitching a big starter of Brett B Trois to finish it off.

This is where the inspiration comes in: the other day as I was wandering through the local market I found Mulberries. It was then that I decided that 750gr would go into my 15 minute boil.
So, that's my plan. What do you think?
Cheers,Lee.

I do a blackberry Berliner that the ladies love. I add blackberry purée after primary fermentation because I do not want to drive off the delicate flavors during the vigorous primary ferment.

For what it's worth, I did a Berliner that was pure lacto for 3 weeks then I added Brett. It is tart but not insanely sour. I've noticed that a lot of people indicate intense sourness after one or two days of just lacto, but I have not had this experience.

That the ladies love eh?
The olnly lady who gets to drink my brew is my mum-in-law.

For what it's worth, I did a Berliner that was pure lacto for 3 weeks then I added Brett. It is tart but not insanely sour. I've noticed that a lot of people indicate intense sourness after one or two days of just lacto, but I have not had this experience.

I think the folks getting that level of sourness in 2 days or so are holding their wort at high temps, then boiling or pasteurizing and pitching their sacch.

We are at about 40c here today and i would say that the average temperature over 24hrs is probably 30c.
I had thought of a second boil, but dont want to loose any alcohol.

So,I just had the last bottle of this and it turned out ok. Not what I was looking for, but not a total letdown for sure.
It's light of body for sure and has great prickly carbonation. There isn't too muck of the berry aroma left after the boil(knew that would be the case) but there is some of the flavour.
I chickened out and ended up only letting the lacto go for about 36 hours before pitching the Brett B Trois,which shines through like a lighthouse through an old T-shirt. The sourness I had hoped for is not there,but it's pretty bloody tart.
I can taste the Brett,the lacto and something strange which I am putting down to the acidulated malt.
This pic does not do it justice,it is very much more red,in a scary way in fact. It looks and drinkd like a low alcohol sparkling wine:p
PS, as always,ignore the date

PICT0088.jpg

Latest posts

Back