How long should i ferment in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TylerAndrew

Reaction score
So, i meant for it to be a month process, where i added to the secondary after two weeks, then allowing two weeks in the secondary and kegging a few days before x mas. I screwed that up and it ended up sitting in primary ferment for a month. Now i am wondering if i should still let it go for another two weeks or if i can keg it sooner. I would like to drink it sooner rather than later, certainly.
Pertinent info: i brewed a pretty basic brown. During the brewing, i only the in two cinnamon sticks - everything else is a basic brown recipe. After i brewed, i decided i wanted to make it more festive and attempt a gingerbread brown. So, today i added a cinnamon stick, 1 ounce of freshly grated ginger, 3/4 cup molasses, three whole cloves, and .5 lb lactose for body and a little sweetness. I know the lactose doesn't ferment, and i imagine the cinnamon, ginger, and cloves don't really need a lot of time to impart their flavor, but i know molasses will change about with time.
So, how long should i wait before i keg it? I'm also a little grey on how much it will actually ferment since the yeast has already been kicking around for four weeks.
Thank you for the help!

You can safely eliminate secondary for ales. Many of us do that and get great brews in the glass. IF it tastes good, keg it up at any time. Just be sure to rack carefully, so you leave the sediment/trub behind. I would also advise NOT trying to rapid force carbonate this brew. Use this chart to figure out the serving pressure at temperature, and leave it on the gas (with the CO2 feed ON) for at least two weeks.

Secondary is a very misleading term. Unless you're actually adding a NEW sugar source, no fermentation will happen. It's really a bright tank, which is a carry over from the days of yor when homebrewing was mirroring what big/commercial breweries do. On our scale, it's not needed.

Look at some of the 'similar thread' links at the bottom of this page...

I only brew in a secondary. It could take up to a month. Primaries aren't really necessary.

Back