Siphon Farts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kahunaman

Reaction score
OK - sounds silly but this happens all the time. I am racking to secondary, and am ultra-cautious with sanitizing everything, not leaving the cover off too long, smooth transitioning, and siphoning to the bottom so as not to have a waterfall of beer and oxidation problems.

Then, for some reason, I end up pushing the autosiphon when I'm all done, and it glugs in some air, which then pushes the air into the secondary and i get 5-10 good bubbles (farts) right at the end.

I know I need to avoid this - but it seems to happen every time I siphon as I forget.
how horribly bad IS this for my beer?

dont worry about, the reason people buy airstones to oxygenate their wort is because of how difficult it is to dissolve oxygen in beer with large bubbles. if your worried about it you can get an inline plastic valve for your siphon tubing and shut it off just before the siphon stops.

Instead of waiting for those bubbles to make their way through the siphon, pull the hose in the secondary out before you start sucking air. You may not get every last drop of beer, but in reality your only miss 8-12oz....if that much. This will ensure there is no bubbling or oxygenation of the beer going into the secondary.

Then, for some reason, I end up pushing the autosiphon when I'm all done, and it glugs in some air, which then pushes the air into the secondary and i get 5-10 good bubbles (farts) right at the end.

Are you saying that you accidentally move the AS and that causes a small break in the siphon (but not enough to stop the siphon)

or

Are you saying you leave the center wand extended out (?), accidentally push it in, and that pulls some air in?

Either way it's not a big deal. Oxidation is more of an issue for long extended aging of beers and not much of a factor for homebrewers. It is still possible for sure just not as devastating to a supply line.

Unless it's the latter and then I am wondering why you'd do that anyway.

Happens to me too, it's kinda inevitable if you let the siphon go till the end. I don't think that much of the gurgling beer gets down the hose anyway.

Latest posts

Back