The "I Hate My Job" Thread/Rant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianTheBrewer

Reaction score
I basically realized it today that I really do hate working where I work and what I do. I work in the ER at one of Boston's crazy Emergency Rooms. This place sux. I dont know why I even do this everyday. I thought I liked helping people...but NOOOOOOOOOO...most people suck, they are dumb and they dont need to be here. They come in with paper cuts, headaches, coughs, dumb dumb dumb $hit!!!

Ahhhh now I feel a little better...

Anyone else hate where they work??!! I sure hope so.

Depends on the day whether I hate my job but I doubt it sucks as bad as yours does when someone comes in with a stubbed toe and wastes your time.

OTOH, it's good you are there on those days when it really is an emergency. Even if you have to deal with 10 dumb sh*ts a day, you are there when that 1 Mom needs you to help her sick or hurt child.

A lot of people that I work with hate thier jobs (dont know why they are still there)... I personally love it, or else... well I would not be there. Id be somewhere else.

Doesn't Triage sort them out and make them wait 3 hours or so to see someone?

It does but 1) they don't always do the best of jobs at it and 2) eventually that stubbed toe gets in. Also, you never know with patients. Back in college I sat in the ER waiting room for over an hour crap'n out blood. Triage had my seated blood pressure in the normal range so without seeing the actual blood they just figured it was me blowing things out of proportion. That was until they got me in the back and did a standing BP and it was 60/20. I was mid-season of competition on the track team and they couldn't find a vein to get a blood sample. Turns out I had lost 3 pints of blood through an ulcer that had perforated the aorta. So triage isn't always affective. This was a major
hospital too, not some Emergi-Center walk-in place.

I can honestly say I do not really like my job overall. It's not a hard job for the pay, but I have no sense of accomplishment, and believe it or not really do get tired of sitting on my a$$ all day long. The only reason I really am here is the pay and benefits are good, and in less than four years I'll have a monthly retirement check.

I enjoy some aspects of what I do, but not enough to look forward to coming into work everyday.

I can honestly say I do not really like my job overall. It's not a hard job for the pay, but I have no sense of accomplishment, and believe it or not really do get tired of sitting on my a$$ all day long. The only reason I really am here is the pay and benefits are good, and in less than four years I'll have a monthly retirement check.

I enjoy some aspects of what I do, but not enough to look forward to coming into work everyday.

I like my job now, but there were times getting to this point where I debated staying in this field. If I was 4 years from retirement, I'd be looking forward to each day knowing it was one day closer to retirement. :ban:

I like my job now, but there were times getting to this point where I debated staying in this field. If I was 4 years from retirement, I'd be looking forward to each day knowing it was one day closer to retirement. :ban:

I understand what you are saying. Realistically though, retiring from the military isn't going to be a true retirement for me, just a transition into a totally different world. In some aspects I'm a bit apprehensive because I've been doing pretty much the same thing, with the same culture for over 16 years now, transitioning to the civilian world is going to be a shock. Four years to go and I really have no idea what I want to do for the next 20 or so.

I hate my job, Some may say, " You hate a job that allows you to surf HBT all day and take the occaional phone call from a *******"? Yes I feel like I do nothing. I make more money than I should for what I do but feel pissy all day and at the end of the day the only feeling of accomplishment I have is that I made it from 8am to 5pm without telling a customer, Too Bad, Our equipment is ****, there's nothing I can actually do for you! Might not be as bad if I was supporting quality equipment.

So triage isn't always affective. This was a major
hospital too, not some Emergi-Center walk-in place.

It really depends on who's doing the triage. They probably just saw you as a early 20-something with probably a hemorrhoid. And they usually frown upon rectal exams in the waiting room. :drunk: ;) But that was definitely a **** up on their part.

At 3am when I take someone to the hospital for minor things that's been bothering them for 2 weeks I hate my job. But, as just mentioned, at times like this I'm glad to have the job I do.

I am actually okay with my job.

Sure I get my share of dumb shyts who think it's my job to design their spaces to conformity and save thenm the hassle and expense but, the benifits are nice and I leave EVERYDAY at 5:00 sharp unless I choose to stay later (and the OT has been approved). I NEVER work weekends and I do NOT have to travel anywhere.

It pays all the bills but, I will never have much of a savings at this level of income. Thankfully, my wife is okay with her job (most days) and it pays her much more than mine pays me.

Many people think I have the coolest job in the world and most days I agree. It's not the low-paying, crappy-hour job I'm unhappy with, it's the industry as a whole.

I understand what you are saying. Realistically though, retiring from the military isn't going to be a true retirement for me, just a transition into a totally different world. In some aspects I'm a bit apprehensive because I've been doing pretty much the same thing, with the same culture for over 16 years now, transitioning to the civilian world is going to be a shock. Four years to go and I really have no idea what I want to do for the next 20 or so.

I worked with this guy who put in his 20 in the USAF and then went to work for a hospital as an orderly. At the time he was close to retiring from there with a pension and he had started an office cleaning business on the side. He was pretty much set for life. I always liked that idea of being 38 years old and having retirement income.

It really depends on who's doing the triage. They probably just saw you as a early 20-something with probably a hemorrhoid. And they usually frown upon rectal exams in the waiting room. :drunk: ;) But that was definitely a **** up on their part.

At 3am when I take someone to the hospital for minor things that's been bothering them for 2 weeks I hate my job. But, as just mentioned, at times like this I'm glad to have the job I do.

I hear ya...

Sorry IrregularPulse, but I'm stealing your post and editing it for my own purposes.

I hate my job. Some may say, "You hate a job that allows you to surf HBT all FREAKIN NIGHT and take the occasional phone call from a *******"? Yes I feel like I do nothing. I make more money than I should for what I do but feel pissy and sleepy all night and at the end of the day the only feeling of accomplishment I have is that I made it from 11 PM to 7:30 AM on a sunday morning.

The only thing that keeps me there is the horrible economy. I work for a power company. Jobs in other industries are paying half of what I'm making now, if the jobs are even out there. I'm lucky enough for there to be three power companies in Portland, but none of them have job openings available and haven't for months.

Yeah I hate my job too and pretty much the economy is putting the brakes on future plans at this point. SWMBO is still in grad school but will be graduating in spring. Last night she said what I already knew but didn't want to admit "if the economy stays the way it is it's going to be hard for me to get a job and your going to stay where you are for a while". I was planing on quiting after she graduated, take a road trip on the motorcycle for a few weeks and then start all over. I'm in civil engineering and with no one building new houses and subdivisions I've seen pretty much every opportunity dry up. Sure I get to f@ck off pretty much whenever I want to but I feel like crap because I don't feel like I'm doing anything useful with my life. I'm thinking about going back to school to become a radiologist.

Hate my job- Under payed, over worked, under appreciated (at least to those that could pay me for it). That said, our customer service department got a LOVELY Christmas presents! Meeting stated that in two weeks they would be putting envelopes with firing notices on desks- nice right? Gets better- Two weeks later, they're firing all of them and re-allocating their calls to our main facility as of first of the year.

Glad I have a job.

I kind of like my job, and I'm very glad to have one with a stable company. Sure it's boring sometimes, it sucks sometimes, but I have lots of freedom to complete my projects and the pay is good. I've definitely got my head down and am working harder than I was six months ago now...you don't want to be the guy at the bottom of the totem pole when they decide to make cuts.

Thats the only thing I can say I like about my job right now that I know it will be there tomorrow...with all the layoffs going on and the crazy economy I feel some whats safe

Brian I have the utmost respect for people who work in emergency rooms and what they have to put up with. And I especially appreciate the fact that they are always there to solve medical problems...

Take for example, my most recent trip to the emergency room: I was helping my girlfriend hang curtains at 4 in the morning, while naked. I was precariously perched on the windowsill and slipped off, fell backwards onto a coke bottle, which became lodged in my rectum resulting in a 4:00 am trip to the emergency room.... ;)

Just kidding, but I am sure you get interesting stories like this all the time.

I love going to the ER and sitting behind someone whos got 90 screaming kids who thinks one of them might be coming down with a cold.

THIS IS THE ER! what the hell

Brian I have the utmost respect for people who work in emergency rooms and what they have to put up with. And I especially appreciate the fact that they are always there to solve medical problems...

Take for example, my most recent trip to the emergency room: I was helping my girlfriend hang curtains at 4 in the morning, while naked. I was precariously perched on the windowsill and slipped off, fell backwards onto a coke bottle, which became lodged in my rectum resulting in a 4:00 am trip to the emergency room.... ;)

Just kidding, but I am sure you get interesting stories like this all the time.

Oh man you have no idea...ive seen things that would scare the $hit out of most people...I do like working in the ER sometimes. I have some great stories for Friday and Saturday night with friends. Other times I want to walk around with a bat and give people a real reason to be there.

Gotta say I love my local ER. Last Tuesday evening, it happened to be snowing in Austin (which it almost never does), so naturally my appendix decided to crap out on me. I went in the ER at 4AM, by 11AM my appendix had been laparoscoped out of my gut. Those doctors and staff were awesome.

Since it was snowing outside, there were no people in the ER with colds or stubbed pinkie toes.

On the subject of jobs, a lot of people are losing theirs now, so I'm not going to complain about mine.

Now let's toast to the ER folks. Prost!

Like most, I am stuck in a deadend job, at least I have a decent paycheck, but I can't get a job doing what I want to do...Teach. Eventho there are teachers who are "more qualified" than I, are sleeping with students, getting DUI's, and not having control over thier classrooms. Finally, they are just plainly BAD TEACHERS.

Like all jobs, if you don't know anybody, you can't get the job.

I got my job because they were extremely desperate about 6 years ago to fill seats. Had something to do with the company sending out a notice that they were going to fold in about 3 months time.

Well, that never happened, and now we are the fastest growing and one of the most profitable airlines in the country. They would have never hired me if they had not been so desperate... you need a college degree to get an interview, and I have none. Woops.

I can honestly say I've never once dreaded going to work. I've got every 13 year old girls dream job (dolphin trainer) and every day is exciting. It isn't all that glamorous though. Those 20 minutes that everyone sees during the show is only like 10% of our job. I'm usually spending about an hour and a half underwater per day scrubbing algae buildup and cleaning up sea lion poop from the bottom of the pool. Getting into those outdoor pools when it's single digits out and the water is 55 is an acquired taste. With that said I would never trade what I do for anything in the world. Sure the pay sucks and forever will but thats what SWMBO is for. Training animals to do these amazing things that most people don't think are possible is just really rewarding.

I hate to be circumspect, as it's a buzz kill for job ranting, but I have a little difficulty saying that I hate my job. There are plusses and minuses, and most of my complaints are, how would you say... first world complaints?

Pros:
- I get to fart around on the internet a hell of a lot.
- My bosses never micromanage me... I get lots of freedom to do what I do.
- It gives me a limited creative outlet.
- Though I sit at a desk most of the day, I get to get up and walk around and go down into the shop for a change of scenery.
- The pay is at the upper end of my industry average.
- Everyone I work for is a straight-up kind of guy. No *****ebags here.

Cons:
- No windows. I really wish I had some natural light.
- Minimal benefits. I could really go for more vacation days.
- No advancement. This is definitely a dead end job. There's nowhere to go but to own a shop and become a competitor... and I don't have the skill set for that. I'll basically be doing this same job for the next thirty some years.
- No raises/bonuses. The company is barely staying above water, and thus no matter how hard or well we work, there's no real hope of getting a raise.
- Fear of folding. Like I said, the company is teetering on the brink, especially with housing market sucking right now. There's a continual pall of fear that we'll go teats up.
- Commute sucks. One hour, one way. I wish I worked closer to home.
- Lack of appreciation. Though my bosses are good guys, they are stressed as hell all the time with the tight cash flow problems, and thus our morale is basically dropping like a stone. And while the talking heads on the TV say we should just be happy to have a job... it would still be nice to get some spiffs, bonuses, or even an attaboy every now and then.

I can honestly say I've never once dreaded going to work. I've got every 13 year old girls dream job (dolphin trainer) and every day is exciting. It isn't all that glamorous though. Those 20 minutes that everyone sees during the show is only like 10% of our job. I'm usually spending about an hour and a half underwater per day scrubbing algae buildup and cleaning up sea lion poop from the bottom of the pool. Getting into those outdoor pools when it's single digits out and the water is 55 is an acquired taste. With that said I would never trade what I do for anything in the world. Sure the pay sucks and forever will but thats what SWMBO is for. Training animals to do these amazing things that most people don't think are possible is just really rewarding.

Can't you train the sea lions to poop in a litter box?:D

I don't hate my job, as I own 49% of the company, but I really hate trying to promote the product. There is so much noise on the Internet, getting attention for a new product is tough. I also hate snarky reviews by people who don't understand the concept.

I have a great job that I like, but I've pigeon holed myself because I don't want to live in the city. Union job, so the only position for advancement where I am that I qualify for was taken by someone with two more years of seniority than me. It was the only criteria considered. I could move to the city and go upward almost immediately, but what for? As a result I've had to upgrade myself to qualify for a management position. Yuck.

I basically realized it today that I really do hate working where I work and what I do. I work in the ER at one of Boston's crazy Emergency Rooms. This place sux. I dont know why I even do this everyday. I thought I liked helping people...but NOOOOOOOOOO...most people suck, they are dumb and they dont need to be here. They come in with paper cuts, headaches, coughs, dumb dumb dumb $hit!!!

Ahhhh now I feel a little better...

Anyone else hate where they work??!! I sure hope so.

Awwww...you're just angry because you probably just got power back at your house after 3 days, and still had to go to work anyway 'cause Boston just got rain and had no idea that it gets colder as you head inland. :cross:

BTW, my job is OK I guess.

Awwww...you're just angry because you probably just got power back at your house after 3 days, and still had to go to work anyway 'cause Boston just got rain and had no idea that it gets colder as you head inland. :cross:

BTW, my job is OK I guess.

I never lost power...im just that cool :)

Latest posts

Back