Cool Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeegod

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing a ESB next week, I just got my brew fridge and external thermometer. Is there any drawback to fermenting at lower temps than recommended, other than a longer fermentation time. I was planning to ferment at 58-60 degrees. I am looking for a very clean tasting beer, without the long lager time. Thanks,
Scott

I am planning on brewing a ESB next week, I just got my brew fridge and external thermometer. Is there any drawback to fermenting at lower temps than recommended, other than a longer fermentation time. I was planning to ferment at 58-60 degrees. I am looking for a very clean tasting beer, without the long lager time. Thanks,
Scott

Sure, you could do that, as long as your yeast strain will tolerate that. I know that Nottingham works fine down to 59 degrees (but a bit slow) and I've had pacman yeast down to 60 degrees. What yeast are you going to use?

if you use nottingham or us-05 and ferement below 65, i think you will end up with a very clean beer and not have to push the lower temp range and risk stalling it out.

Back