Orange Zest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicholschris

Reaction score
I'm wanting to make an orange beer.

Any recommendations on which beer style would be complimented by the orange flavoring? I'm thinking something low in hops.

Any ideas on how much zest would lend a nice orange flavor without being over powering?

Also, any thoughts on when to add the zest? Last part of the boil? Or maybe incorporate it into the priming sugar mixture?

Thanks for any ideas you can share!

Wheat beer seems to work well with orange zest, Belgain witbier features bitter orange zest as a spice. Adding it towards the end of the boil is probably the best way to utilize the zest. Make sure you get the proper zest, homebrew stores offer regular and sour orange zest and they are quite different. If you want to use a fresh orange make sure to use a zester and only scrape the top of the skin, don't dig deeper and use the pith, it seems to land a bitter flavor, not a good kind of bitter.

I have a Grand Cru going now that has zest from one large orange in it. It had a very nice orange taste to it. Granted that taste was when I bottled it, so we will see what happens when it’s ready to drink.

Back