Fermention stopped early?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike71884

Reaction score
First hombebrew and scratching my head over fermenting. I used a midwest kit cream ale with wyeast American ale yeast. Followed directions on kit as well as referencing John palmers how to brew. Pitched yeast at 70 degrees and within 24 hrs it was rolling away and bubbled like crazy for about 4 days. It has been kept in my den with a consistent temp of 66. been in primary 16 days. Problem is my hydrometer reading has been 1.020 for 3 days in a row. Kit instructions stated FG should be within 1.010-1.012. All the krausen has settled and no real signs of active fermenting. Is she done or has it stalled out? I know the consistency of hydrometer says it is but just wondering why he readings are so high. Any comments much appreciated. Beer taste pretty good bye the way

First hombebrew and scratching my head over fermenting. I used a midwest kit cream ale with wyeast American ale yeast. Followed directions on kit as well as referencing John palmers how to brew. Pitched yeast at 70 degrees and within 24 hrs it was rolling away and bubbled like crazy for about 4 days. It has been kept in my den with a consistent temp of 66. been in primary 16 days. Problem is my hydrometer reading has been 1.020 for 3 days in a row. Kit instructions stated FG should be within 1.010-1.012. All the krausen has settled and no real signs of active fermenting. Is she done or has it stalled out? I know the consistency of hydrometer says it is but just wondering why he readings are so high. Any comments much appreciated. Beer taste pretty good bye the way

Search for 1.020 curse on here. Pretty common with extract batches. Probably has to do with caramelization of sugars in the wort during boiling that renders them unfermentable. Just make sure it is stable FG before bottling.

Yeah after doing some reading I have learned about he 1.020 curse! Thanks for your reply I think I'll give it another couple days and if reading still the same go ahead and put it in some bottles

Back