How to pick fresh hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImperialStout

Reaction score
Awhile ago I posted asking how to know when hops were ready to pick. No one seemed to know the answer but found this YouTube video that answers those questions. Thought I'd share it here for anyone brewing with cultivated or wild hops.

We harvested enough hop cones to fill an empty case of beer box. Thought we had enough hops for 5 or 6 batches. Turns out after drying we netted 5 ounces of hops, enough for one batch. My advice is if you are harvesting wild hops, pick all you can hold of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tons of information in the "Hops Growing" section of this website also, I have 20 hop plants, 10 varieties growing in my back yard and I've learned everything I know about growing and picking hops through this website.

Im with ya, i went to someones house as they wanted me to pick some and could have em just had to give em a bottle of whatever i made...

I realize i went in way too discriminatory, at the end of about 1:30 picking, another 30-45 mins cleaning and getting them on the screen to dry i ended up with 10oz of hops which is a good amount, but there were so many left on the plant.

This next weekend when i go out im just going to grab them by the handful and throw them in a bag and sort/clean them at home.

I grow some of my own hops and pick them when they start to get a little papery on the outside (about right from what I know). The normal wet:dry ratio is about 4:1 depending. So if you pick a grocery bag full of papery hops, you will get 12-16 ounces dry.

Latest posts

Back