Mother May I...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radarbrew

Reaction score
Alaska, Honey, there's a moose on the back porch a
Okay, I don't know if this is OK with you all, but to settle a bet with the spouse, could I ask you folks this question...Are you the primary manager of your particular business? Basically are you the HMIC?. :confused:
Personally for me the answer is no. I just get paid for what I do.

I record sound and music. Usually when I am recording music I am the HMIC, otherwise I may be working on a movie and someone else is calling the shots.

Other then recording I go to school, where I am very far from being the HMIC.

-magno

Oh hell no. I produce commercials... (yeah those things you guys tune away from to listen to. (ozzy/zeppelin/skynyrd/nelly/usher/brooks & dunn/shania/stevie ray/buddy guy/miles davis/al dimieola/tchaikovsky/bach...gwar <lol> or whatever the cd player has trayed)

I work for corporate assasins, but my day ends at 5pm. And at the end of every 2 week period, I have enuf to pay the bills AND feed my obsessions... AND I work hard for a living, but not as hard as my factory days....

Ize (content)

I'm a manager, but I manager no one. More of a process manager. Actually, I'm just pretty freakin' smart and they keep me around because I can handle issues that no one else of my level can handle. I might not be the most solidly busy person, but I'm the guy they go to when there's not enough time to do things the standard way. I can automate tasks by writing a program when needed or come up with a brilliant marketing solution on the fly.

But I'm far from HNIC.

I'm a college professor. So, definitely not "in charge" in terms of the chain of command, but one of the things professors like about their jobs is getting to work on your own most of the time without someone supervising or paying too much attention to what you're doing.

No way. Im just a measly civilian contractor. Actually I prefer to be a worker bee and leave the politics to the higher ups. I come in, do my 9 hours, then head home to the family.

Plus I get to spend all this time at work surfing this place

Baron von BeeGee said:
Everybody's got a boss!

This is so true. My 6th grade daughter is really struggling with her teacher this year. I mostly think the teacher is full of S%@$ (first year teacher, over-zealous about a lot of things, too authoritarian). But it's been a great teaching opportunity with her on your exact point: there's always someone who gets to tell you what to do, and they're not always reasonable.

I've been my own boss, an employee and a contractor. I'm currently half-owner of a startup. Being an employee is certainly the least stressful.

cweston said:
...there's always someone who gets to tell you what to do, and they're not always reasonable.
My father used to own and run a sawmill/lumber business and I thought it had to be the greatest job in the world since he was El Jefe Numero Uno. It wasn't until I was a little older and started working for him that I began to understand why he was working 12hrs a day and that there is no Jefe #1.

Yeah, I did win the bet. I said all (majority) here are a member of the worker bee status, and they do this homebrew thing because it's what they do to get their minds off work, decompress, and be (bee) with the ones who matter most, their families.

Is she still looking?....

She was of the mind that your all a bunch of computer nerds who hang out here 'cause noone else will talk to them. I win the pizza!:mug:

Radarbrew said:
....member of the worker bee status....

....computer nerds who hang out here 'cause noone else will talk to them.....

i'm not sure that those groups are mutually exclusive.

I'm a computer nerd and a member of a large worker bee hive (making computer hardware), but I am also in charge of a growing number of bees.

There are certainly much more aggressive and noisy bees above me, so I don't know where I fall exactly.

Radarbrew said:
Basically are you the HMIC?.
I always thought it was the HMFIC...what's HMIC? :confused:

But symantics aside...I work for myself, so I am indeed the HMFIC. :) However, I work for myself, so I'm actually the HMFIC...of nothing. :(

I'm currently a computer nerd, working for a software company.

Working my tail off for the man. Someday I plan to be The Man. Then I can be the one keeping the people down.:ban:

Radarbrew said:
your all a bunch of computer nerds who hang out here 'cause noone else will talk to them.

hey i resemble that remark!

actually, i am a computer nerd.. but I am by trade so not sure if thats what she means..

also.. i hang out here not because nobody else will talk to me.. but because nobody else around here knows jack about brewing..

I"m in the bible belt.. the only folks around here that know about brewing are the ones who were not allowed to be seen buying beer at the store.. and they sure can't talk about it with me :)

ws

I'm both. I have a regular job as a soils technician working for a soils engineering firm in Southern California. All of the landslides keep us busy. On the side I'm a musician, writing and arranging, and teaching lessons. There I'm the boss and it's great.

Well, I work teaching little kids. So in their eye I guess so. But in reality my wife is the school manager/ principal, so no; I am not the HMFIC, but I am sleeping with her.

Latest posts

Back