Spoiled brew. By adding ice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustavo

Reaction score
Well yesterday while brewing a cream ale. I was preparing the ice bath. My two year old grabbed I've from the ice bath and threw it in the brew. It was an extract ale and I use US-05. My brew has whit spots on top of the Krausen( how ever you spell it). It's been aprox. 12hrs

Any ways I was wondering if adding ice to primary could infect the beer or am I just another paranoid newB

I have intentionally frozen sterilized water and added it to the brew kettle for rapid cooldown while I was brewing concentrated batches. Kettle wasn't big enough to hold and boil 5 gal. I never had any issues with it, but I always worried about having problems. If your fermentation kicked off well, I agree with pjj2ba. You should be fine.

Thanx, just I never had yeast look like that and it's my first time my airlock is not going crazy in the first 24 hrs, but Thanx will check gravity tomorrow

I made an AG cream ale this weekend and my krausen is a bit different from what I'm used to but then again, I've never made a cream ale before. Not nasty looking but different colors of krausen. Smells awesome though.

Yea, you definitely wouldn't see an infection in 24 hours. I'm sure you're just looking at normal-old krausen. They look different every time.

Krausens run all the way from a little fizz to cottage cheese with dirt clots. Don't worry.

PS It could get infected from the ice, but it's very unlikely.

Well if your two year old had been playing with dog poop right before that like someone I know ;) then you might have a problem, but short of that, I think you're going to be fine.

One time I had my wort all nice and cool, aerated, in the bucket ready to pitch yeast, brew day went perfect so I was happy. As I was reaching up for the yeast which had been rehydrating, my two year old daughter came out of NOWHERE, right up to the bucket and sneezed into it. Like DIRECTLY into it.

Turned out fine...

Back