Adding cinnamon to apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidHawman

Reaction score
So I am planning on adding cinnamon to my batch of apfelwein. How long should I leave the cinnamon sticks in the fermenter? The batch is coming up on 1 month in the primary so its going to be time to bottle it shortly.

Is it like dry hopping where you add the sticks 4-5 days before bottling? Or does cinnamon take longer to fully flavor the brew? I plan on adding two sticks.

Thanks! :rockin:

Really the best way is to just keep sampling & go by your own taste. Thread some fishing line through your cinnamon sticks (for easy removal later) and drop 'em in. I'd start sampling after 4 days, tho it could easily take longer than that to reach your desired level of spice in the flavour profile. When you hit t6he desired level, pull those sticks out. Regards, GF.

Cinnamon is a bit tricky because it has oils. I have a cinnamon cider that seems to be getting better with age. Others might chime in, as I don't have a whole lot of advice on the topic other than the oil issue.

Back