What can I make with this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterOJ

Reaction score
So yesterday I did my first brew that wasn't from a kit. I used a recipe I found on here. But, the LHBS sold some of the steeping grains by the pound only - not the ounce.

So, now I have these leftover:
3/4 pound aromatic
1/2 pound wheat
1/2 pound caramel 60

Anyone have suggests as to what I could brew up to make use of these leftovers? I'd hate for them to go to waste.

Oh, and one caveat... I currently have three pale ale types in the pipeline, so I'd rather not add a fourth.

I have a mystery batch made from leftovers in my primary as well. I say just experiment and have fun. It's hard to go wrong, because either way it will be beer! :mug:

Ive seen ambers use upwards of 2# crystal malt.Specifically the amber in How To Brew. Assumig you have extra hops and base grain or malt extract you could make a good ipa. But seing that you wouldnt want this maybe make an amber then.
You need some base malt or dme though other wise you could make like a <1 gallon light wheatbeer barely not using much of the crystal, aromatic malts.

+1 for experimenting... Do you have some brewing software? Plug in some base malt (or use like 8-10 lbs of US or UK 2 row) and make an amber esque beer... it could be the next greatest thing! ;)

I'm bumping this because I am wanting to make a barleywine in the near future.

Do y'all think I could take these leftover grains, add 12-13 pounds of DME (mostly light, but maybe 3-4 pounds of amber), a few basic hops and make a decent barleywine out of it?

Sure why not? But maybe leave out the wheat (or don't). Beersmith puts that at OG 1.120, 12.8% ABV, 11.8 SRM (with 10 lbs light DME and 3 lbs amber).

Get crazy with the yeast. WLP099 or champagne?

I've got an old ale (with an OG around 1.090) in primary right now. I pitched it with US05. I'm thinking about just taking the slurry from it and using it for my yeast with my planned barleywine.

That should turn out okay, doncha think?

Add 2.5 pounds of Pale Two Row and .5 pounds of Chocolate malt and you've got some sort of Porter with a twist of Wheat (2.5 gallon recipe)

Or add like a pound of Light DME and a pound of Dark DME for an extract recipe with something like the same effect... (2.5 gallon recipe!)

Add a pound of chocolate and a half pound of debittered black patent and make a porter. It would work, everything works when you add a pound of chocolate and a half pound of black patent. It would be a sweet porter.

Porters rock so hard.

Latest posts

Back