starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soopagloo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My stir plate didn't come in on time and I've been shaking my starter to keep it going. Should I chill and decant, pitch the whole shabangabang, or let the wort sit and pitch tomorrow? 1.070 sg IPA. Been going since 5pm yesterday and wort is cool and ready.

If the wort is ready, go ahead and decant what you can, then pitch. Next time, chilling, decanting, and then letting it warm up again is a better idea.

I wouldn't decant at all. How big of a starter is it? There most likely is still a ton of yeast in suspension. Only been going 24+ hours. I would toss it all in unless its 5000ml. 2000ml and under I pitch the whole thing unless its a light flavored lager.

pitch the whole thing, i typically pitch an entire 2L starter, i like to pitch at high krausen and watch it take off.

A starter is used to grow yeast and in the process all sort of things will develop in the remaining fluid and these are not the best for beer. That is why you should wash your slurry if going to re-pitch. There is practice and good practice why take a shortcut. Don't pitch your starter. There should not be an argument about this.
bobz

A starter is used to grow yeast and in the process all sort of things will develop in the remaining fluid and these are not the best for beer. That is why you should wash your slurry if going to re-pitch. There is practice and good practice why take a shortcut. Don't pitch your starter. There should not be an argument about this.

Yeah, this is the ideal way to go according to some. I have seen evidence both ways. The problem was that the OP had already brewed and cooled the wort and his starter was only 24 hours old. He was asking whether to decant which would have sent billions of yeast to an early grave.

Kinda late update, but fermentation happened sometime between 9pm and 4am. The beer smells delicious. I have my stir plate now so I won't have to worry about this again. I only had one day off to get this beer going and waited as long as I could for my delivery. If it tanks, I have 2 cornies full to keep me company till the next brew. Thanks for all the replies.

Back