Infection? Maybe, but I'll relax, etc.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shecky

Just an old guy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I racked my Ocotberfast to secondary last night. I was a little suspect of things when there was no hard krausen ring even though I hit my FG four days ago. It never fell and was oddly sticky.

Still, it smelled like beer and was pretty tasty. Right now, there are white circles, mostly in trios, dotting the surface of the beer. Might be an infection, I don't know. I know it doesn't look like anything I've seen in my beer.

So, no pics and no asking if this is an infection. I'll just wait it out and hope.

Moral: I've learned enough here to at least know that waiting is the best remedy. If it's bad, I'll get rid of it. But I'm not just going to toss it before knowing what I have. Cross your fingers.:D

You can taste your beer at any point and if you say it smells real good then the chances of an infection are very remote. A light foam or floating bubbles is normal.

How long has it been since you pitched the yeast? I primary for 2 to 3 weeks and if you taste diacetyl (buttery/butterscotch flavor) then you need a diacetyl rest at 60 to 65 for 2-4 days or until you can not taste the diacetyl. You may not taste it at all and need no diacetyl rest. Then just lager it.

Ref: http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter10-4.html
Ref: http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter10-5.html

Relax, you are doing great. :)

12 days. Checked my FG Friday before I left for a couple of days at the beach. Checked it again last night and it was the same.

I know I should leave it in primary (a bucket) longer, but I'm brewing today and needed my primary. Plus, being new to this, I like to secondary so I can get a look at things to learn as much as I can.

I racked my Ocotberfast to secondary last night. I was a little suspect of things when there was no hard krausen ring even though I hit my FG four days ago. It never fell and was oddly sticky.

Still, it smelled like beer and was pretty tasty. Right now, there are white circles, mostly in trios, dotting the surface of the beer. Might be an infection, I don't know. I know it doesn't look like anything I've seen in my beer.

So, no pics and no asking if this is an infection. I'll just wait it out and hope.

Moral: I've learned enough here to at least know that waiting is the best remedy. If it's bad, I'll get rid of it. But I'm not just going to toss it before knowing what I have. Cross your fingers.:D

I have the same issue with my 1st batch of beer. I opened it up last night ( it's in secondary). batch of 90 shilling. It tasted like warm 90 shilling. I did see some white mold looking thinks on the top of the beer. I’m not worried about it. If you open it up and it smells like a skunk it could be bad. If not taste it and see what happens.

12 Days......FG 1.0?? Did you keg or bottle? Should be good then. Remember that every time you take a sample you are risking infection and so be very careful about sanitizing etc. I suppose you are using Starsan in a spray bottle?

Sometimes you get little fizzy yeast colonies floating bcak to the surface after racking to secondary. The yeast got re-roused, so some may start to behave like newly pitched yeast. Going up to the surface and bubbling a bit.

Back