Slight smell of sanitizer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgr_stl

Reaction score
I've been sharing my first batch with several friends over the past couple weeks. Just about everyone has praised my Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone. I tell everyone that I'm interested in getting better at brewing, so if they ever have comments I'd like to hear them.

One friend told me he thinks the beer tastes great, but that when he smells it just before drinking he gets a hint of what he calls a "clean" smell that he attributes to sanitizer (I use StarSan).

Nothing major, and I don't get that when I drink it, but I was curious if anyone had ever experienced something similar and could help explain what might be causing it. Could it be a characteristic of the aroma/dry hops (Cascade)?

I diluted the StarSan as directed, and the only other cleanser I used throughout the process was C-Brite.

Thanks!

StarSan will not impart any flavors in your beer, it actually breaks down when it hits the wort to become yeast nutrient. Is your buddy a homebrewer, or is he just making things up that he can relate to?

Brewsit said:
StarSan will not impart any flavors in your beer, it actually breaks down when it hits the wort to become yeast nutrient. Is your buddy a homebrewer, or is he just making things up that he can relate to?

Was going to say this. I only have one buddy who brews, and we brew together (split the cost of batches). The rest of my friends are BMC drinkers who wouldn't know a good beer if I poured it down their throats. All near-snobbery aside, they always have a hilarious comment about this or that because they don't fully understand home brewing. It's fine...makes me feel smart.

No, my buddy is not a home-brewer, so he isn't aware of the process. I don't think it's fair to say that someone who has never brewed can't help critique your beer, but I do get your point about "making things up" for tastes that he can't quite put his finger on.

And thanks for the info on StarSan. I was pretty sure that wasn't it due to all of the "embrace the foam" posts on here.

mgr_stl said:
No, my buddy is not a home-brewer, so he isn't aware of the process. I don't think it's fair to say that someone who has never brewed can't help critique your beer, but I do get your point about "making things up" for tastes that he can't quite put his finger on.

And thanks for the info on StarSan. I was pretty sure that wasn't it due to all of the "embrace the foam" posts on here.

Absolutely get them involved! This is a great thing that more people should be a part of. Just....sometimes....yknow haha.

Back