HERMS coil mounting - thru the lid or thru the side

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin509

Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon Blichmann Boil Kettle that I would like to add a stainless HERMS/chiller coil in. I was going to mount it in the kettle with arms of the coil going up and thru the side above the liquid level to avoid the necessity of completely leak proof fittings and to aid easy removal for cleaning. Now I'm kinda thinking thru the lid. Since lid is off during boil it would give more room to stir in hops etc without whacking coil.

Any thoughts? Anyone mount theirs thru the lid?

He's putting a HERMS coil in his BK. Not something I'd do, but if you only have one pot, I guess it'll work eh?

OP - Seems like a BK with a herms coil mounted in it would be a royal pain to clean. Are you sure you want to do that?

That's why I want to make it easy to remove. It would be in place when I am recirculating and then back in to chill the wort after the boil. Technically no different than an immersion chiller just semi-permanent mounting. A lot of folks brewing with two vessels are doing it I just want some feedback on mounting options.

I did the same thing. It works great for HERMs and cleaning is easy. I intended to use it for chilling also, but the stir motor created too much foaming/aeration during the first part of the cooling. If you aren't doing some kind of stirring or recirculating during chill it will take a long time and since the lid is now in the way, you can't stir. I ended up going with a counterflow chiller.

I still use the recirc coil during mash. One thing I would change is the coil spacing. Make the coils concentrated at the bottom. If you have them spaced out like I do, you need to fill the keggle all the way up which takes longer to heat up and change temp.

herms01.jpg

herms04.jpg

I would do through the side with compression fittings. It is really easy to take them off, remove the coil, clean, and re-install.

JMO,
-G

Going to whirlpool, already have the inlet tube in place. So still deciding which way to go, lid eliminates any thru the sidewall fittings or holes or welding.

image-2858770986.jpg

Ive got mine in my keggle HLT/BK. Side mounted with compression fittings. I CIP, never have removed the coil. Never had a problem

Back