Competition question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost always if it is different "sub categories" - rarely if it is the same subcategory.

ie. you can usually enter an american pale ale and an american amber ale. But, you ususally can't enter two american pale ales. They are usually pretty clear about this in the rules and entry information for the specific contest.

You'll have to read the competition rules. Some allow you to enter two in the same category if they are in different subcategories. For example, American IPA and English IPA, 14B and 14A. Some only allow one IPA (for example) to be entered.

I don't know about entering two in the exact same subcategory. I haven't seen one that does allow it (but I'm sure there might be some).

Entering the same beer into two different categories is completely fine. If you have an American Pale Ale but don't know if it is in IPA territory, you can enter it into 10A and 14B to see where it is sitting. Remember though, at a certain point the whole thing becomes subjective...

very rare that you can't enter two different beers in the same category, you'll just need to name them differently

dcp27 said:
very rare that you can't enter two different beers in the same category, you'll just need to name them differently

Category in question is the specialty category. I have a rye pale ale and a strong ale with rye.

unless the competition explicitly says you can't (not often), that should be fine. Just be sure you can tell there's rye, not just used it or you could lose points.

Back