RIP George Carlin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never been a big fan. He had some pretty clever stuff, but I never saw him as a "laugh Out Loud" kind of guy. A lot of his stuff I thought was a ripoff of Lenny Bruce. Not the material, but the style. But, he was a true American Icon.

Do you realize that he was a friend of Lenny Bruce's? I don't think I'd consider it a "rip-off"... more like a mentor/mentee kind of thing, You probably sound a lot like your friends too. And you'd probably sound even more like them if you were in the same business.

Hate to be the odd man out on this thread but... I was a fan until my wife bought me tickets for my birthday a couple years ago. It was absolutely awful. I loved his older stuff and thought it very witty but he spiraled downward into a sad bitter old pr*ck. He opened with the same 10 minute tirade that I had already seen on HBO... he'd been milking it forever it seems and I didn't need to pay $$$ to hear it again.

He wasn't funny, he was offensive, and not offensive in a funny way, just plain "slam on the brakes of fun" offensive. People were steadily walking out after the first 20 minutes and he was cussing them out as they left.

Then he started talking about these young girls that had just been murdered locally and he started talking about how we should dig 'em up and f*ck 'em since it was a waste of good p*ssy. WHAT?! :eek:

At that point my wife and I looked at each other, smile-less, and said let's go. Trust me, its not like we're prude or anything, we went for the dirty humor and biting political opinion... but the spark was gone. George Carlin wasn't there... there was just a bitter old dirty man onstage.

Then he started talking about these young girls that had just been murdered locally and he started talking about how we should dig 'em up and f*ck 'em since it was a waste of good p*ssy. WHAT?! :eek:

At that point my wife and I looked at each other, smile-less, and said let's go. Trust me, its not like we're prude or anything, we went for the dirty humor and biting political opinion... but the spark was gone. George Carlin wasn't there... there was just a bitter old dirty man onstage.

His book is filled with sick statements like that. It is a shame cause he truly made me laugh my a$$ off, but as I mentioned before he extremely bitter in his last years.

Now that he is dead, I will try to remember only the stuff that made me laugh instead of the stuff that made me think that he was a bitter pr!ck rengas lihas.

For those who wish to celebrate the life and work of this great social satirist, HBO will be playing eleven of his specials, Wednesday (6/25) and Thursday nights. Fire up the Tivo!

Wednesday, June 25 on HBO2

8pm George Carlin at USC (1977)
9pm George Carlin Again! (1978)
11pm Carlin at Carnegie (1983)
12am Carlin on Campus (1984)
1am Playin' With Your Head (1986)

Thursday, June 26 on HBO2

8pm What Am I Doing in New Jersey? (1988)
9pm Doin' It Again (1990)
10pm Jammin' in New York (1992)
11pm Back in Town (1996)
12am You Are All Diseased (1999)
1am It's Bad For Ya (2008)

Back