Blichmann conical first time use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlyday

Reaction score
I asked for a standard fitting 14.5 gallon conical for christmas, and my great wife got me the tri-clamp version. Which is what I really wanted, but didnt want to ask for that one because it is so much more expensive.

I have some grains ordered for my first 10 gallon batch and want to know if there are any gotchas I need to worry about while using the conical, or brewing 10 gallon batches.

I will be doing a full leak test before and beer goes into it.

I have several dozen batches under my belt w/ my Blichmann... here are my suggestions.

1) Tear it down between batches including fittings and valves. Never assume it is clean enough w/ Star San.
2) If you are using an aggressive yeast strain, tighten down the lid lock past finger tight... I've blown yeast out the seal even with a blow off valve.
3) Get a thermowell installed (though a T fitting on top or a welded nipple).

I have 2, 14 gallon Blichmanns. They suit my purpose and process very well. The only thing that you'll need to do, once you put in the valves and dome gasket, is make sure nothing leaks. After assuring that nothing leaks. Fill the fermenter right to the top of the dome and soak the fermenter with hot PBW, drain and wipe it out until no gray stuff is left on the towel. Then wash again and rinse with hot water. I have the 1" tri-clover blow off fitting for a 1" tube, a tri-clover CO2 injection kit, leg extensions and wheel kits. I sterilize the fermenters with boiling water before each use. I pump into the side racking valve and out through the blow off tube. Then, I cap the blow off and pressurize until the relief lifts. That's how I check the dome gasket for leaks. (By the way. There's a bead on one side of the dome gasket. Follow the directions on how to install it on the dome and how much to tighten the dome clamp). Just follow the instructions and you won't have any problems. I ferment 13 gallons. The liquid is above the dome gasket. Then, I pressurize the fermenter to keep the beer from foaming in the pump and filter plates when it's time to keg. I have never had a leak at the dome gasket or valves, while under CO2 pressure. If too much CO2 is added. The relief weight lifts, anyway. When I don't filter. I'll use the other Blichmann, as a secondary to settle the beer before kegging. I cap the tri-clover blow off fitting during settling. I installed an adjustable spunding valve and a different relief in the dome corny lid. If you're into reusing yeast. Depending on the yeast and how much goop settles, don't be alarmed, if the bottom drain gets plugged. A little positive pressure will push out the goop and yeast. After owning them for a few years and running hundreds of gallons through them, without a problem. I am very satisfied. You'll be happy with your new equipment, for many years, too.

Im planinng on doing the initial cleaning and installing the plumbing this weekend. I want to make sure all the dust and oils and stuff are out of it. I did put all the plumbing together hand tight just to make sure everyrthing was there. I had to buy and long extenstion for my rachet so I could tighten the bottom drain.

I plan on getting either a stopper thermowell or finding another way to install one. Its not a huge priority right now as I dont have a fridge this will fit in. All my other fermenting was done in a chest freezer. This wont fit in it. Its winter in michigan, so the basment is perfect for ales.

Im pretty excited to try this thing out. There was a good video I saw on you tube where the guy was showing how to use the Co2 to push out the stuck yeast then transfer the beer to the keg with the C02.

I need to get on craigslist and find me an old fridge.

I had to buy and long extenstion for my rachet so I could tighten the bottom drain.

Agreed. Strange design for the bulkhead tool. 3/8" bar isn't the first tool you'd have in a kit unless you work on automotive applications frequently.

I'd love to see that re-engineered to a 8mm hex...or even just a long slot...

Yeah I think if your paying that much money you shouldnt have to buy another 15 bucks in tools. They could have that washer tool thing on the end of a long bar. I need to clean mine this weekend, then Im going to put it all together and do me extended leak test. Hopefully my grains will be here before next weekend so I can get my brew on!.

I have an older Blichmann conical, so this may not appy to you. The racking arm was a giant waste of time, space, and money. No matter what I did to it it would leak, not much mind you, but enough to leave a little puddle below the conical. Probably not more than a beer for the whole fermentation cycle, but it really irritated me.

I ended up going with a freezer and full temerature control so I removed the racking arm and put in a thermowell. Now my temp is controlled based on the actual temp in the fermenter, not the ambiant air temp in the freezer. And no leaks.

I dump out of the bottom of the fermenter to get all the gunk and then rack to my kegs. I rarely get much sediment in the kegs so I really see no advantage to the racking arm. Just my .02.

I havent used or tested mine yet, but seeing how it is put together and how its really just pivoting on the o-ring, Im a little skeptical also. I plan on getting a thermowell stopper to do the same thing.

Well I did a PBW soak and wash this weekend. The inside of the conical is super nice and clean. Im going to break down all the plumbing tonight and get that cleaned inside and out. Ill be finishing up my 10 gallon mash tun tonight too, I had a 5 gallon one, but I needed the bigger one for the bigger batches. Hoping the grain show up sometime this week. I didnt get the leg extensions, so I need to rig somesort of of table before I get ready to ferment.

First of all congrats on your new conical!!:) Aside from the fact that it needs to be completely torn down cleaned and sanitized between batches (including Taking apart the ball valves). On brew day, after you transfer your cooled wort, should wait a couple (three) of hours for your break material, and trub to settle. Then Dump it thru your dump valve before you pitch your yeast. This keeps the trub from solidifying to the point were it will clog your dump valve, so that you wont be able to harvest your yeast later. Next I dump again in a day or to get rid of some of the yeast that flocced out too soon and cold break (only a little you dont want to dump good yeast) then I don't dump again until I'm done fermenting and ready to harvest yeast. Also Please remember to remove the blow off tube from your starsan blowoff bottle BEFORE you open any valves, as it will get pulled up you blowoff into your fermenter if you don't;) Other than that you've got the cadillac of fermenters, and you'll love it.

With the ability to do 10 gallon batches, and not alot of beer drinkers in the house this wont be used in a heavy rotation, so breaking it down wont be that big of deal. I have a brew toolbox with all the tools I need for this and my boilermaker, so its all right there when I need it. It really not that hard to break them down and give them a quick soak and cleaning.

Thanks for the ideas on dumping the trub and yeast.

Still on the hunt for a fridge/freezer for this thing.

A stand up freezer will do you best as it has a flat floor. You'll probably need to remove the inside door panel to get it all to fit in. And a freezer is better than a fridge as the cooling system is designed for freezing and not freezing, cooling. YOu will need a temp controller either way, though. And in MI I suggest getting a brew heater as well for the winter if the freezer is in the garage.

http://saginaw.craigslist.org/app/3526690610.html
http://saginaw.craigslist.org/app/3480197414.html

Removed all the plumbing parts last night, disassembled them and gave them a good cleaning. When I took the tri clamp of the one ball valve it pretty much all fell apart and I had a oh S#%& moment wondering if I was going to be able to get it back together. It was all pretty easy. Its all been taken apart and cleaned. I will be running some pbw and water through it and then sanitizer before it use it again, but I feel pretty confident its clean.

One thing I can see I might need more of is the washer or oring things that go between the tri-clamp peices. When I disassembled the one part it stuck to the one side long enough for me to get half way accross the room then if fell off. I didnt find it until i retraced my steps. Having a spare of each of those will probably be a good idea.

Had a problem with the bottom valve leaking. Took it apart a few times and it was still leaking. Finallly got it to stop by really tightening that clamp down hard. Not one drop afer that.

The first batch of beer is in there. I did what patthebrewer suggested and waited for the trub to settle and dumped that before I added the yeast. The bottom dump port is awesome. Having a sample port is pretty nice too. No more sanitizing a measuring cup. I was able to pull a sample right before I pitched the yeast.

And allthough I was warned, when I did the initial dump I forgot to loosen the airlock and suck some vodka into the brew.

I checked on it this morning, half expecting to see some sort of airlock activity.. Nothing.. I was a little disappointed. Then I noticed that the cornie keg type port on the top wasn't seated right. One end was lower than the other. I fixed that and a soon as I sealed it the air lock started going batty spewing vodka all over. I had some serious fermentation going on.

I quickly dug out the blowoff tube elbow and replaced the airlock with that.

Basement is at about 56 degrees. Thermometer sitting on the conical showed 62. Im going to get a thermowell stopper so I can monitor the inside temps better.

. I fixed that and a soon as I sealed it the air lock started going batty spewing vodka all over. I had some serious fermentation going on.

I quickly dug out the blowoff tube elbow and replaced the airlock with that.

Personally on my Fermenter I just always use a blow off, and never bother with the airlocks anymore.Safer that way.

Yeah I plan on doing that in the future. Was as Eyeing up the tri-clamp blow off assembly online today.

Back