Summer Shandy Recipe CO2 Volumes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamursch

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've read all the posts about using powder lemonade mix at bottling for creating a shandy style beer but I still have questions regarding the amount of sugar to use WITH the lemonade mix.

Here's my calculations:
  • 5 gallons of Wheat Beer at 4.0 volumes of CO2 = 252.6 g of corn sugar (Dextrose)
  • 5 packets of Lemonade have 90 g of sugar (18 g per packet)

So, I'd add:
162.6 g of Dextrose + 5 packets of lemonade (90 g of sugar) = 252.6 g total?

Does this seem like I am in the correct ball park?

Idk,4V may be taxing the bottles' co2 limits. when we/she brewed my Summer Shandy recipe,we used a product called trulemon. It's crystalized lemon juice with no added sugar. They have trulime & truorange as well. It's in little packets in the box,2 packets equals 1TBSP fresh juice. And boy,does it smell/taste like it. I primed her shandy with 2C of boiled water to which I added 4.7oz dextrose (5.75G),& 12 packets of lemon crystal (=6 TBSP juice) together to prime with. It was a lil too much to taste the US Golding & Willamette hops. But rather,the 3 combined made for a lemon blossom tea sort of complexity.
But the recipe is very close in flavor to the Lienenkugel's version. It's in my recipes. I have a second batch brewing right now that I just pitched on late yesterday afternoon. Boy is that re-hydrated 15g cooper's ale yeast giving the blow off a workout!
Anyway,this time I'm cutting the 12 packets of Trulemon down to 10,making 5 TBSP juice. That should still give good lemon flavor,but let the floraly Willamette stand out a hair more. That floral,nectary lemon blossom thing was good.

So you primed like usual but just used the TruLemon? I'm guessing it gives a more natural lemon flavor as compared to Countrytime Lemonade.

I assume you used this on a 5 gallon batch?

I brewed a Weisenbier Brewers Best kit and was planning on using lemonade, but maybe I'll try this instead.

Anyone have an opinion about Lemonade mix vs TruLemon?

unionrdr said:
Idk,4V may be taxing the bottles' co2 limits. when we/she brewed my Summer Shandy recipe,we used a product called trulemon. It's crystalized lemon juice with no added sugar. They have trulime & truorange as well. It's in little packets in the box,2 packets equals 1TBSP fresh juice. And boy,does it smell/taste like it. I primed her shandy with 2C of boiled water to which I added 4.7oz dextrose (5.75G),& 12 packets of lemon crystal (=6 TBSP juice) together to prime with. It was a lil too much to taste the US Golding & Willamette hops. But rather,the 3 combined made for a lemon blossom tea sort of complexity.
But the recipe is very close in flavor to the Lienenkugel's version. It's in my recipes. I have a second batch brewing right now that I just pitched on late yesterday afternoon. Boy is that re-hydrated 15g cooper's ale yeast giving the blow off a workout!
Anyway,this time I'm cutting the 12 packets of Trulemon down to 10,making 5 TBSP juice. That should still give good lemon flavor,but let the floraly Willamette stand out a hair more. That floral,nectary lemon blossom thing was good.

Ok unionrdr,
I've bottled and ditched the country time lemonade for TruLemon. I used 10 packets like you suggested and can't wait to test it out.

I'll report back when it's ready. Thanks.

Well,as for myself,after drinking the second batch,12 packets of Trulemon was better. Maybe even 14 packets next time.

For mine I brewed 3 gal of wheat beer and added 2 gal of. Simply lemonade after 3 days in the primary. It has very little resemblance to lienenkugel, buts a deliciously tart, yet strong beer with nice tones of banana and clove iin the backgeound from the yeast.

Back