Copper parts for a Boil kettle Hop screen.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8string

Reaction score
I just rigged up a new hop screen for the kettle. Copper "T" and 2 copper hose barbs, with 2 short SS braids and SS hose clamps. Actually im not sure, maybe they are brass? I got them at Lowe's. Are they likely copper or brass and should I even use this contraption? My old hop screen stuck out in the middle and I thought this would possibly give me more success at whirlpooling. Its basically like the Bazooka T.

I see what you are doing. I tried several setups and finally I just do the best I can to get a nice whirlpool by stiring clockwize fast (wort hot). I just wait until a nice cone forms in the center of the pot. There are no obstructions in the pot to stop this whirlpool action. I then open the spiggot slowly until I get clean beer flow out of my sanitized counterflow chiller and then quickly poke the tubing into the fermentation vessel. as long as the trub stays in the center I am OK but at the end of the transfer the pile wants to spread out and that is when you want to be careful and shut off the flow as soon as the boiler drain starts to injest some trub. You can filter what is left into a paper filter and use it for the a starter after a 15 minute boil on your stove to sanitize it

Yeah trying to get less trub, But with an immersion chiller, I still wouldn't be able to stir until it was cooled enought to remove the IC. Actually my system has been working fine, the whole hops filter most of it and secondary gets the rest.

Actually, I guess my main concern was if it would give any copper flavor to the brew the first use or would that be quickly boiled off. The parts have that copper aroma like pennies.

Thanks for the tips on whirlpoling.

You will be fine with copper and brass. In fact, some brewers add a chunk of copper to the kettle because yeast need a little of it. It is common practice for breweries Germany to use copper brew kettles despite the fact that they cost a whole bunch more than stainless just for that reason.

Thanks that just what I wanted to hear. I'll see how well the new hop screen works within the hour . Making a California Common.

Latest posts

Back