Blichmann BrewMometer calibration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yambor44

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am finding that if i adjust the Brewmometer I have to recalibrate. Is this normal?

Also, I am leaning towrds replacing the brewmometers with a digital unit. Anyone have a good idea on hoe to install a digital probe in the same hole the brewmometer is located?

Thanks.

Digital probe placement next to Brewmometer probe
IMG_1928.JPG

Bottom temp on digital readout is related to the probe. Blichmann almost 8 degrees off.

IMG_1930.JPG

Most of the bimetal thermometers I have are the most accurate in the middle third of their range... that said, did you take it up to normal mash temps and check it against your digital since that is the temp range that you want to be accurate. Also, have you checked your digital against a quality lab grade thermometer? Digital thermos can be off just as easily as bimetal.

Most of the bimetal thermometers I have are the most accurate in the middle third of their range... that said, did you take it up to normal mash temps and check it against your digital since that is the temp range that you want to be accurate. Also, have you checked your digital against a quality lab grade thermometer? Digital thermos can be off just as easily as bimetal.

Great questions. My brewmometer has been spot on, well 2 of the 3. One was dragging on the faceplate and would read correctly once I tapped on the glass.

I have not calibrated the digital against a lab grade. I have checked it in ice water (32 degrees) and boiling water/wort (212 as I am at sea level) and it was spot on. Also checked it against 2 other digital thermo's and they were within tenths of each other.

Northern Brewer sent me a replacement for the one that was dragging and I installed it tonight.

All three were at the same ambient temp when I installed them. The difference was I calibrated the new one in the bent position.

I did this by setting it to the same temp as the other 2 for a quick start. The other 2 read identical.

Then I noticed the other 2 were aimed lower than the new brewmometer, so I decided to bend them up to match for better viewing.

After doing this, the older 2 didn't match the new one any longer and they were 2 degree's off from each other.

So I filled each pot with tap water, added the probe and the older 2 were way off and the new one was only about 1/2 degree off.

I'm having the same issue...I calibrate my BM with a lab therm at say 150 and then by the time it gets to boil its off by 5+ degrees

Well I decided to go with a new non angled Brewmometer...The angled one simply would not hold calibration through a single brew! Trying the new one out today...Fingers crossed!

Straight Brewmometer worked perfectly...Dead on accurate! Sucks the angled one was a dud but its in the trash now :)

All the Blichmann stuff I have is first rate quality except for the adjustable angle Brewmometers, they just don't seem to hold calibration very well. And yes, they will change when you adjust the angle. The Blichmann literature states this is a temporary condition but doesn't seem to be the case in my experience. I had Fermentap thermos on my keggles and they held calibration from day one.

Back