Susbtitute white wheat for torrified wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to make a clone of Goose Island's 312 for the wife. Below is the recipe I have found but I only have white wheat and flaked wheat on hand. I don't have the torrified wheat so I am unsure of substituting the white wheat for torrified wheat. Anyone have an opinion?

Also, for future use do I crush the torrified wheat the same as the rest of the grains?

Thanks.

5 lbs pale malt
2 lbs white wheat
2 lbs torrified wheat
1 lb flaked wheat
1 oz liberty hops 60 min
0.5 oz cascade 5 min
0.5 oz cascade 0 min

Wyeast 1010 American Wheat

Malted wheat and torrified wheat are not interchangeable. Torrified wheat is basically puffed wheat with little to no flavor character. Its best function is to help to attack starches and proteins more completely primarily in beers with a lot of un-malted base grain, like unmalted wheat. Both malted wheat and torrified wheat will help you with head retention. But otherwise it's like substituting crystal 20 for carapils... it just doesn't work.

The above recipe is 45% wheat. If you're cutting 2 lbs. of torrified (18%), then make up for that loss with 12% more wheat malt, and 6% carapils for a body filler.

Malted wheat and torrified wheat are not interchangeable. Torrified wheat is basically puffed wheat with little to no flavor character. Its best function is to help to attack starches and proteins more completely primarily in beers with a lot of un-malted base grain, like unmalted wheat. Both malted wheat and torrified wheat will help you with head retention. But otherwise it's like substituting crystal 20 for carapils... it just doesn't work.

The above recipe is 45% wheat. If you're cutting 2 lbs. of torrified (18%), then make up for that loss with 12% more wheat malt, and 6% carapils for a body filler.

Thanks for the reply. Just so that I am clear about your recommednation I should use 12% more of the 2 lbs of white wheat, or 12% of the remaining 3 lbs of total wheat, 12% of the initial 5 lbs of wheat or 12% of the total weight of the grain bill of 10 lbs? The last one is what I would assume but I thought I better ask first.

12% more white wheat and 6% additional carapils, in lieu of an 18% reduction of torrified wheat.

Back