Phoenix/Tempe Area Brewpubs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cosgcm5

Reaction score
I'll be flying out to Phoenix tomorrow morning to visit the inlaws. They just moved there (Tempe area) in August, so this will be my first visit to the area. Any locals care to chime in on where I can go to get away from the madness and down a couple of good brews?

cosgcm5 said:
I'll be flying out to Phoenix tomorrow morning to visit the inlaws. They just moved there (Tempe area) in August, so this will be my first visit to the area. Any locals care to chime in on where I can go to get away from the madness and down a couple of good brews?

Papago is great.

Phoenix Ale Works isn't far down the street.

I also really like SunUp brew pub and Four Peaks. If you are into IPA's try to find Lumberyard IPA someplace....it's from Flagstaff.

Papago's had an awesome coffee stout when I was there, and a pretty good beer selection you can indulge yourself in. Four peaks was pretty good to.

If you have a chance go to Pizzeria Bianco for brunch, I say brunch because anything after that will be a 2 hour wait.

If you have a chance go to Pizzeria Bianco for brunch, I say brunch because anything after that will be a 2 hour wait.

Eh.. It's great, but the wait there isn't worth it. Go to La Grande Orange instead. Pizza is every bit as good without the 4 hour wait.

Four Peaks is great. I'd think it would even be better when the students are gone. The last time I was in Phoenix I checked out SanTan in Chandler. It had a nice local bar vibe.

4 Peaks can get a bit crowded, but if you go for lunch (especially on a weekday) there's not often a wait. Avoid on weekend nights because it's a popular spot for the college crowd due to its proximity to the ASU campus. They have really good food, and great beer, and they work closely with the AZ society of homebrewers, as well as a neighboring HBS (Brewers Connection).

Most of the college kids are gone for the holiday. Tempe is a ghost town around Christmas and summer.

Went to Phoenix several times last year and loved the beer scene. Wish I could go back.

Four Peaks wasn't as good as it was made out to be (IMO). The wait was far too long, you might be safe this time of year. I have been craving some Kiltlifter...

Sleepy Dog was my favorite by far in terms of prices, beer quality, and atmosphere. I went during every trip.

Papago had a huge selection of guest taps and bottles but the bartenders were snobby both times I went. The Papago branded beers were good.

I didn't get to go to San Tan but I did drink the Devil's pale ale canned while I was there and liked it.

My favorite non-craft-beer stop was The Big Bang piano bar on Mill Ave in Tempe. It was an inexpensive night-full of entertainment both times I went.

Back