airlock fell off..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Labratbrew

Reaction score
Just brew a hef today and pitched my yeast... Set it in my closet for 10 mins... Came back to check on it and found that the airlock had fallen off!!
Should I be worried about contamination?
I know some of you might say...
Relax don't worry have a home brew... But I'm just a newb at brewing by myself and want to make sure it'll be ok!

Don't worry about it. If you did everything right up until then, there is little chance that would have made a difference.

First off, can you change what happened? Follow it through.

Years ago I was brewing a lot and made a batch and realized I didn't have enough airlocks after it was too late. I put a ballon over the opening (glass primary). Sometime overnight the balloon popped. In the morning I put another balloon on it. Beer was fine. I felt I dodged a bullet, but what was I going to do?

Emmett said:
First off, can you change what happened? Follow it through.

Years ago I was brewing a lot and made a batch and realized I didn't have enough airlocks after it was too late. I put a ballon over the opening (glass primary). Sometime overnight the balloon popped. In the morning I put another balloon on it. Beer was fine. I felt I dodged a bullet, but what was I going to do?

I don't think I can change it...no.
I see your point.
What happend is the bung was wet with diluted star san and was essentially slipping... I stayed with the carboy this time to make sure it wouldn't slip

It happens, you should be alright though, your yeast was fermenting and producing gas so the gas it was producing would have been blowing out to help prevent contamination as well.

I brewed a Wee Heavy a while and checked in on it the next day only to find that the plastic fermenting bucket I was using had a small crack in the bottom of it (only lost ~1/2 cup but I had to transfer into a different fermenter. I had to wait ~9 months to see if anything else got in it and it seemed to be fine, so I would think 10 minutes being exposed should be fine. Don't sweat it.

Back