Need a quick answer about a mash problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irbefan

Reaction score
I'm in the process of brewing a 10 gallon batch of a pretty high gravity oatmeal stout. I'm not a beginner, but I somehow managed to burn some grains on the bottom of my keggle during the mash. I'm very reluctant to toss it, as my brother suggests. Any advice would be appreciated as to what I can expect. What ill effects can I expect? Thanks for your input. And yes, I did do some searching and found nothing good about continuing on with it.

It really depends on how much burning actually occurred. You may get lucky and have a stout that has a slight toasty or burnt (but not in a bad way) aroma. I always say just keep going and see what happens. If you have the carboy room to spare you might as well see how it turns out. Good luck.

Thanks. That was my logic too. I called a buddy at my LHBS and he suggested cutting the loss of the price of grains and starting over. It had a burnt taste and aroma. Saved my hops and yeast and will re-brew it tomorrow. Sad to do, but we weren't that far into it. Decided not to waste the carboy space on it. Lesson learned. Thanks for the reply though.

You should just save the wort for future starters. Just freeze it up. Even if it does taste burnt the yeast don't give a crap. Just decant before adding to future brews.

Irbefan said:
I did save some, not all though.

That's good always try to get some good out of a bad situation. And never waste a thing lol. That's the way I see things!!

Back