BIAB kettle help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bock

Reaction score
Hi, i am from canada and i have trouble finding a good and affordable kettle.

Here is what i found, please tell me wich one is better.
I only do 5g batch and i plan to make a ekettle with one of these kettle.

First one is a 36qt turkey fryer.( Is it big enough for 5g batch?)
It come with a propane burner ( i do not need it)
come with a basket strainer ( This should be good if i put element under the basket. Like this i will not burn le biab bag )

Price: 100$

Second is a 40qt stock pot and lid without anything for 115$

They are the only 2 affordable that i find. Nothing to compare with the big kettle for the half price on ebay but vendor only ship to US or shipping kill the deal.

Check out Canadian Tire. They sell large stock pots in their canning section. 32L for $75 and 64L for $98.

If you are planning on a no-sparge BIAB (Aussie style), then I'd go with the 40 qt. I have a 32-qt and I frequently push it to the limit with just 4 gallon batches. Bigger beers or the occasional 5 gallon batch forces me to do a dunk sparge in another vessel. If I were to do it all over, I'd have gone with a 10 gallon/40 qt kettle. If you are planning on sparging and have another kettle to heat sparge water/dunk grains, then either should be fine, otherwise get the bigger one.

I use the Bayou Classic 62qt stainless kettle. It's huge and I can easily boil 8 gallons. Tons of room (I do full volume BIAB). It costs $116. You should consider the small 44qt version which is only $86, a bargain for stainless. Here it is on Amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dirk7728:

This is where i found the 36qt propane fryer. I will take a look for the 64L one, if it is available in Quebec

Seatbelt123:
I will take a look on amazon.com shipping quote. But i think it will cost a lot.. i will come back with this.

Finally the BC 44qt pots is realy not an option!! Shipped to canada, the bill is 180$!!

Back