Snowed in, so brewing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chillHayze

Reaction score
When life hands you lemons, ask for tequila and salt.

No work today! Brew time! :ban: :ban:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Hump Day Stout
Brewer: Matt
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 40.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 60.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 73.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 78.4 %
11.0 oz Wheat, Roasted (425.0 SRM) Grain 5.4 %
9.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.4 %
8.0 oz Moravian Black Malt (Like a milder black Patent, supposedly) (500.0 SRM) Grain 3.9 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 3.9 %
8.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3.9 %
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [11.20%] (60 min) Hops 38.5 IBU
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [11.20%] (15 min) Hops 19.1 IBU
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [11.20%] (2 min) Hops 3.3 IBU
1 Pkgs Rouge Pacman (WYeast Labs #1764) [Starter 40Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 12.75 lb
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 15.94 qt of water at 168.9 F 154.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Add 8.93 qt of water at 197.5 F 168.0 F 10 min

Notes:
------
Cleaning out the cupboard! Pitching onto American Wheat Pacman Yeastcake.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is AHBS Promo Black ale with some other stuff in ther as well.
The AG kit is like $15 w/o yeast. ON SALE!!

I was surprised to find the Victory malt is still tasts good. Should be interesting...

After I put some pants on I'll start the strike water.

Ok, so I'm not really snowed in. We got about 2 cm last night. :D

:mug:

Where the hell did you get snow? Ship it in?:confused: We haven't had a total of an inch all year yet up here in Albany.

edit: just got to the bottom of your post:D wish I could get away with a snow day. Got to save my time for our trip to Florida the end of Feb.:ban:

2nd Street Brewery said:
Where the hell did you get snow? Ship it in?:confused: We haven't had a total of an inch all year yet up here in Albany.

Read the last sentance of his post... the bastid got me, too, I thought maybe there was a front moving in...

Mashed in missed my temp by 4 deg topside. Oh well at 158 it will be more stout-like anyway. Mash smells like chocolate biscuits.

What's in Florida, Dave? Other than gators and palm trees, of course.

I envy you and you work-skipping ways. I have a batch to do up this Saturday, but methinks I feel a bit of a cold coming on. Maybe even norovirus. It feels like it will be peaking Friday at about 7:00AM. Hmmm.......

We had a big snow recently, but it was too cold to ferment. But this gives you an idea of desert snow:

snowwave.jpg

chillHayze said:
What's in Florida, Dave? Other than gators and palm trees, of course.

Hopefully warm weather, cool water and lots of beers. Visiting some friends of ours who moved down there a few years back. Taking the grandson to Disney, playing some golf and if I can get tickets reasonably cheap, checking out a Yankees preseason game.

We had a blizzard on Monday night, right when I was driving home. True white-out conditions. Made the dark, busy road I was on even scarier. Lots of accidents.

Ended up only being about an inch, but it fell so quickly that it was impossible to see anything.

Cool snow, Pastor!

Lauter and sparge done in about 50 min. Getting up to a nice boil! Yep thats one of 2 pots on the ol' stove!

Also transfered the Wheat into clarify vessel so the beautiful pacman yeastcake is ready to accept its next batch of chocolaty goodness.

Pitched!

5.5 gal of 1.065 is 80% eff. New record for me! I'll attribute it to my longer-than-usual lauter/sparge.:ban: :ban: :ban:

200cm, foo! :ban:

man, still not enough here. We did have about 4" last night, which has been the 'big' storm of the season. On one hand, it is nice and on the other..I kind of like being snowed in for a day or two (not as long as david recently was though).

Latest posts

Back