Temp swings on my wheat fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel82

Reaction score
My honey weizen has been in the fermenter for a week. We have had some nights in the 20s that has brought my brew to the mid to low 50s. The yeast is suggested to be fermented in a 58-67 range. I ferment in a temp controlled freezer and have never had to worry about my beer getting too cold living in MS.

I had planned to let it sit for two weeks before bottling since its a wheat. My main concern is at what point do the yeast go to sleep and stop doing any good and if I'm at that point should I bottle if fermentation is complete.

If the yeast did indeed go to sleep from cold, then you shouldn't bottle. When they wake up in the bottle, you risk bottle bombs. Check your gravity once it's warmed back up some and make sure the yeast feast is done.

I second whats said above. You should be able to sneak a hydrometer reading off of it without much risk. Tell ya how your doing. If you dont want to open it then wait a few more days and see if there is any more activity. It should be sanitary in there. Would not hurt it to bring the room temp up and wait.

BBS

Back