1 month - 50 gallons - what I've learned - please read

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Von Tripel

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

When the month of December came around I decided to do some major beer, cider and mead making, as I had the whole month off. During the course of that month I made 50 gallons of beer, cider and mead. To say the logistics were difficult is putting it lightly since I didn't have lots of carboy and keg space.

Here are some devices and tips that I can whole-heartedly recommend.

Better Bottles
While in the middle of all of this I heard many a glass carboy horror story from friends and online posts. The initial reason I switched over to Better Bottles was out of fear, but now that I've used them extensively there are plenty of other great reasons to make the switch. They are extremely light to handle (obviously). After handling glass for so long you feel like superman cleaning these things. And they clean up much easier than glass. You don't have to use ANY brushes on the inside as PBW and a long soak will remove anything and everything. The ONLY
downside I can see is that that when you have the airlock on them and you accidentally squeeze the BB too much to move it around it tends to suck the vodka up in the airlock and down the main vent tube and into the liquid inside the BB. The worst I have had is just a few drops of vodka falling into the beer or cider, etc. I use the 3 piece airlock style.

When I racked everything out of the glass carboys and into the Better Bottles I carefully walked them out to a plastic trash-can and while partially covering the top, smashed up the carboys one by one with a sledgehammer. They make a resoundingly sharp explosive noise when hit. I cannot fu*king imagine dropping one of these while full of beer. To loose all that beer AND to possibly suffer major cuts and lacerations. I am extremely fortunate to have not ever broken one while handling it. I was pretty rough with them.

So I seriously suggest completely switching over to Better Bottles (and no, I have no interest in their company whatsoever). I am even going to age long-term in these bottles as their is no proof at this point that the plastic has an effect on the quality of the beer. I did a lot of research and I believe that beer can be stored indefinitely in these vessels.

Fermtech Auto Siphon
This thing has been unbelievably indispensable. It makes siphoning very easy. A quick tip: To make the siphon stay in place so it doesn't move around and stir up trub, just use masking tape at the mouth of the carboy wrapping it around the siphon.

My siphoning technique is as follows: Carefully lower just the main outer part of the siphon into the carboy and secure it where you want with the masking tape so as to not disturb any yeast. Now take the piston part attached to the siphoning hose and lower the hose into the carboy that has been purged with Co2. Now that the hose is in the empty Co2 purged carboy, push the piston into the outer part of the siphon that is in the carboy you are racking from. If you have Star San in the line you will need a tubing clamp to slow down the flow so you can allow the Star San to escape and then press the clip to stop the flow so you dont loose any extra liquid. Then you carefully lower that end into the carboy to be filled and release the tubing clip and let it flow.

Fermtech Thief
I have probably used the Thief more than any other device I have. It makes checking the gravity fast and easy. While doing so many beers, ciders and meads at once the Thief has made my job much much easier. If I didn't have this one thing I probably would not have undertaken such a brewing schedule. When I got done using it I washed it inside and out with very hot water and then sprayed it all over with Star San and let it drip dry. When I use it again I quickly spray it, let it drip a little bit and use it. After I have taken a reading I wipe the mouth of the carboy with a paper towel that has been sprayed with Star San and carefully dry it with a clean paper towel. While taking my reading I set the stopper with the airlock on a paper towel that has been sprayed with Star San. I love Star San.

I also use a cleaned and sanitized 2 gallon bucket to hold the Thief and Hydrometer. I also use the bucket to hold the Auto Siphon. So a sanitized bucket is just a great all-around thing to hold sanitized equipment. You would be surprised how long it took me to figure that one out.

Star San
This stuff sanitizes in 30 seconds. Its fast, safe, and wont do anything to your beer. I have always used a spray bottle so that I don't end up with a carboy full of foam. And the spray bottle really comes in handy for spraying small items like stoppers, funnels, keg parts, etc. And you save a lot of Star San by using the spray bottle. I just shoot it into the carboy, make sure its covering everything and spin it around a few times and lay it on its side. Because it works in 30 seconds it doesn't need long contact so the spray bottle works great for everything.

PBW
Ahhh, where would we be without thee? Cleanliness is next to godliness. Use this cleaner and you will never even consider anything else. This is also an absolute must if using Better Bottles. PBW is really the only way to clean them.

Brix Refractometer
This makes hitting your desired gravity while gathering wort extremely simple. The regular hydrometer is great when getting an accurate O.G. and F.G. but for knowing when to stop collecting wort and when to quit the boil this little device cuts down on time and hassle on your brew day. And that makes the cost worth it. Here is a brix to gravity converter http://fredx.org/brewing/convert.php

ThermoWorks Thermapen
This is something I use all the time while cooking. It reads in less than 4 seconds and its very accurate. Its not a must but it does make hitting the right temperature in your mash and hitting the right temp for pitching yeast nice and easy. http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/tpen_home.html

Fermtech Double Blast Bottle and Carboy Washer
I wish I had bought this ages ago. It makes rinsing out bottles an easy chore. Its not very stable in the sink or on the counter but once you have you setup figured out it works just fine.

Invest in a Kegging System
If you have ever had bottle washing fatigue kegging your beer may save your life. Once you have it all figured out its fast and easy and its BEER ON TAP! I still bottle some of my big beers for long-term storage but for the ciders and the more everyday drinkers kegging is wonderful. Now if you have the walk-in cooler and too many kegs, by all means, keg that 12% barleywine! I have actually tasted a 5 year, kegged barleywine that had been in cold storage the whole time and it was unlike anything I had ever tasted before or since. I believe that long-term (5+ years) cold storage of kegged BIG beers is a new frontier that we must explore.

0.5 Micron Diffusion Stone and Oxygen Tank
I love oxygenating with this setup. Its fast and you know there is plenty of oxygen for those yeasties. And no more shaking the hell out of that glass carboy (which you shouldn't be doing anyway!). You just sanitize the stone, hold it on to the hose with a cleaned and sanitized cable tie and lower it into the wort and oxygenate away. The spray bottle of Star San really comes in handy here. Keep letting some oxygen come out of the stone, spray it off and its momentarily sanitized.

Wyeast Nutrient
It really does make a difference. I have noticed much faster, complete ferments using their nutrient. I also use Wyeast yeast exclusively. I've done side by side comparisons of Wyeast and White Labs and Wyeast was almost always a better, cleaner tasting beer. Don't want to start an argument here, this has just been my own experience.

The Barley Crusher
Use this (or some other comparable crusher) and your efficiency will go through the roof. Using freshly crushed malt for brewing absolutely does make better beer.

Always use a Large Starter
It ensures a fast, strong ferment. No guessing if everything is okay.

Fermcap S
You can use this in your starter, the boil and the ferment. Just use less than they say, its very effective stuff. http://www.brewerssupplygroup.com/brewing_aids/foam_control.php

Making Mead
Use the freshest honey possible. Use the no-heat method outlined in the Compleat MeadMaker. Heating up the honey can destroy some aromas and flavors. I only use Fermaid K and Go Ferm rehydration nutrient. They seem to be the best products for wine yeast nutrients available on the market.

Making Cider
Feel free to experiment when making Apfelwein or regular Cider. I have always used Organic Cane Sugar to up the gravity and have never noticed any off flavors or aromas. Wyeast Hefe 3068 and Belgian Wheat 3942 make stunning cider. Just be sure to give them time to age and develop.

Well I think thats it. I have only been brewing off and on since 2005 so I have a lot to learn. The things above have helped me out tremendously. I trust that whatever you implement into your system will serve you well. This was not meant to be an advertisement for these products. They have just made my life much easier.

FWIW I have never had a contaminated batch of anything. So I assume my cleaning and sanitizing procedures are sound.

This forum has been invaluable to me and I wanted to give something back with what I have learned.

I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.
~Socrates

I thought about selling them, but they have been heavily used and I know at least two of them had hairline cracks. I wouldn't wish those carboys on anyone. Its amazing one never broke on me. And because I live in the middle of no where, trying to sell them is more trouble than they are worth. Sorry, I know reading about a guy smashing carboys must make some of you cringe. Breaking them was frighteningly easy though. It just took a small tap from the sledge and bang! the whole carboy went into many large and small pieces. Its understandable how destructive these things can be. The shape and the poor quality of the glass really does make for something explosive.

I guess I've never really understood why some are so anti carboy, when we constantly use glass for mugs and bottles.

5 Is Not Enough said:
I guess I've never really understood why some are so anti carboy, when we constantly use glass for mugs and bottles.

Glass is probably a better material, in my mind. I find though, that I am much more concerned about having a close call with either losing beer, getting injured or both. There are many many accounts of this, so I am glad to use my Better Bottles. I do still have and use my glass carboy. I just wish you could get them made out of Borosilicate glass (like Pyrex used to).

I don't think it is so much that people are anti-carboy as they are trying to help awareness that there is a very good alternative for those in the market. Glass rocks, imo, I like it much better as a material to put beer in...but...for that minor impression I have I'd rather have peace of mind. :)

The main reasons I executed my glass carboys are very simple.

1. There is a peace of mind in not handling something that could severely injure me while doing something I love. And I don't need any added stressors like handling large vessels of cheaply made glass from Mexico.

2. If you have just one accident with a glass carboy it could very well pay for all the Better Bottles you will ever need in your entire lifetime. The price I pay for destroying my glass carboys and buying new Better Bottles is nothing compared to the cost of dealing with a glass carboy accident emergency and not to mention the downtime you may have from an accident of that nature.

3. Just do a search for "glass carboy accidents / horror stories" on google or any other homebrew forum. These stories contain phrases like "severed tendons", "plastic surgery", "months or years of physical therapy", "I'm typing this with my left hand because my right hand doesn't work at the moment.". The way that these glass carboys have broken on people is downright scary. They have broken just by being picked up by the neck, while empty. Rapid water temperature change has been known to break them. On some accounts they have even broken while someone was carefully carrying an empty one with both arms. And the worst of all is the classic of slipping or tripping and falling while carrying a full carboy.

Its just not worth the risk. And the price for switching over to BBs is a relatively small one. And I don't know anyone who regretted making the switch.

I didn't mean for my post to start this glass carboy discussion. I hope some of the other things I wrote can serve useful to someone.

What amazes me is that someone dosent make a glass carboy what has an external coating of shatterproof polymer. Technology has been around for a long time..

Dr Vorlauf said:
What amazes me is that someone dosent make a glass carboy what has an external coating of shatterproof polymer. Technology has been around for a long time..
Considering that I live in a city of over 100,000 people and nobody has betterbottles in stock, I'm gonna hafta say lack of demand would be the likely culprit. HB is still very very tiny in the grand scheme of things...:(

One downside to the better bottles i have found is that fluctuations in temp tend to suck wahtever is in the airlock back into the carboy. I need to constantly monitor my better bottle because i will get an infection if it gets sucked in and there is no protection.

homebrewer_99 said:
I also carry them in milk crates. ;)

AWESOME idea!:mug: I never thought of that, but thats genius!

Also, great thread Jimmy, you have some awesome suggestions for the beginners like me:mug: :mug:

tbulger said:
One downside to the better bottles i have found is that fluctuations in temp tend to suck wahtever is in the airlock back into the carboy. I need to constantly monitor my better bottle because i will get an infection if it gets sucked in and there is no protection.

You will get an infection? What do you put in your airlock? Are you saying all of the liquid gets sucked into the carboy and thats why there may be an infection?

One possibility is to use some higher quality vodka or other neutral grain spirit. That way its not rot gut going into your beer. A very small amount of good vodka getting sucked into your better bottle shouldn't add any flavor or aroma to your beer.

No not from what is in the liquid, but if i dont catch it in time theres nothing preventing air from getting into the carboy. That carboy usually catches something, out of the usual three i have in the same spot (other two are glass), when i find it and theres nothign in the airlock. I usually fill it a couple times a week. THis is only becuse my temps fluctuate and are not stable.

Many people ferment in barely covered vessels. You'd probably be just fine with the airlock less than sealed. If you use starsan or high proof alcohol, you'll be fine with it dripping into the fermenter, too.

Dr Vorlauf said:

That's been my thought too, brilliant !, I can't believe there hasn't been some sort of chainmale device or like a Kevlar material that would prevent large shards from flying....small bits of glass , although you will get cut, would be better than 6 to 10 " shards coming at ya to do the deep, dangerous, cuts that well all hear about . quick someone design some for us !

Dr. V , your on to something here....

mrbowenz said:
That's been my thought too, brilliant !, I can't believe there hasn't been some sort of chainmale device or like a Kevlar material that would prevent large shards from flying....small bits of glass , although you will get cut, would be better than 6 to 10 " shards coming at ya to do the deep, dangerous, cuts that well all hear about . quick someone design some for us !

Dr. V , your on to something here....
plastidip, durable, widely available (even in buckets), I think it would hold its own shape once applied over the concaves of the carboy..

Man, you could have put those carboys on Craigslist or something, I would LOVE if someone had some used carboys for sale/free around here, even if they were "use at my own risk."

5 Is Not Enough said:
Considering that I live in a city of over 100,000 people and nobody has betterbottles in stock, I'm gonna hafta say lack of demand would be the likely culprit. HB is still very very tiny in the grand scheme of things...:(

I got my "better bottles" at my last job's water cooler. I just wish I had gotten more! I have used them for over a year with no problems.

Keep your eyes open.

well it's just...sure you can look up "carboy accidents" and see some horror stories, but I could also look up "boiling water accidents" or "propane burner accidents" and I'm sure that'd be pretty bad as well. All activities involve some risk, I guess it's just personal preference about minimizing it. I thought the OP was funny in that it made glass carboys sound INCREDIBLY dangerous, as if they were all bombs waiting to go off.

The OP has been asked and has answered several times about the glass carboys. They are gone and no amount of pissing will bring them back.

The OP spent a good deal of time posting a wealth of notes based on his experience. Lets focus on that please.

I must say that I'm rather surprised at how many of you are all whiny about a guy choosing to smash up his own carboys. If it makes anyone feel any better I would not have taken the time to sell them, not to anyone.

We all choose what we are willing to tolerate when it comes to anything risky. I simply choose not to handle those large glass containers. But I will go outside and take a hike through the mountains where I know there are cougars who have killed elk and deer and my livestock (we got the one that did that).

Anyways, the shards are outside in a trashcan, so if you've got a kiln and a carboy mold you can come by and pick them up anytime you please. Just be sure to bring a lifted, 4 wheel drive vehicle with chains as we are getting snowed in up here in the mountains :D

Anyone have any questions about the rest of my post?? I know its a lot of info but there has to be someone out there who has a question or remark to make about it.

I dont think the people are being whiny I think that they are a little confused as to why you are making the glass carboy out to be the devil, like its just a matter of time before "they" get you. Like somebody else said you can find horror stories about anything you want. I wonder, if your that scared of a glass carboy..... Do you drive a car? You should google car accidents/ horror stories, pretty sure there are some stories that will make you think twice about driving too!

(aside from all that)
There is a seriously good overview of some key equipment and how it has worked out for one brewer.
That said, I'm going to play in traffic with my carboys:drunk:

You could have atleast recycled the glass.

*running for cover before olllllllllo comes back* :ban:

olllllo said:
I'm about ready to break off these glass threads into tiny shards.

+1.........
deadhorse.gif

Jimmy Von Tripel said:
Anyone have any questions about the rest of my post?? I know its a lot of info but there has to be someone out there who has a question or remark to make about it.

Yeah did you drink all that beer yourself?
:mug:

I have a question; why did you smash up the ca-OW MY ARM STOP IT!!! :D

But seriously, so where do you work that you were lucky enough to get a whole month off and do you have pictures of your bounty? It can't all be drunk already, you did this just last month!

I demand pictures!

This is an excellent write up, one newbies should definitely read up on.

tbulger said:
One downside to the better bottles i have found is that fluctuations in temp tend to suck wahtever is in the airlock back into the carboy.
This happens with glass carboys as well. It's not a function of the container, it is the cooling of the product inside (beer). I had this happen when trying to crash cool in a glass carboy.

All complaints about the carboy smashing aside, I want to thank you for taking the time to write up such a helpful and insightful post. Especially taking the time to link all the products you found useful.

The only think you left off your post was telling us what all did you brew?

I ran back up to the first post to see if you listed it in your sig...

Those of us who are drooling at the thought of 50 gallons of glorious homebrew happily bubbling away in their better bottles want to know just what all are we drooling about.

EvilTOJ said:
I demand pictures!

I agree as to the pics...I am admittingly one of those geeks on this forum who likes to see pics of peoples carboys full of juicy goodness.

Good job!!

:mug:

wow what a thread, very entertaining to read.

Great original post, i found it very useful and the main reason I am considering better bottles is that the damn 6.5 gallon glass carboy is giving me back problems, I mean they weigh a ton. Not much mention of this aspect.

As for the post from the guy who said he got his better bottles from the office water cooler, aren't those made out of #7 plastic and better bottles are the #1 plastic??

How many out there use 5 gallon water jugs made with #7 plastic???

ethangray19 said:
wow what a thread, very entertaining to read.

Great original post, i found it very useful and the main reason I am considering better bottles is that the damn 6.5 gallon glass carboy is giving me back problems, I mean they weigh a ton. Not much mention of this aspect.

As for the post from the guy who said he got his better bottles from the office water cooler, aren't those made out of #7 plastic and better bottles are the #1 plastic??

How many out there use 5 gallon water jugs made with #7 plastic???

I hear you on the weight issue. I've used glass for over 25 yrs and it is great as a fermentation vessel. As I get older and look to the future of my brewing career I am looking to get away from lifting/moving such heavy, awkward containers. I have some better bottles now and the weight difference is significant so I will gradually replace glass with these. They are made of PET plastic and thus oxygen diffusion is much lower then "water cooler" bottles. I would not store beer for any significant length of time in a water cooler bottle.

In terms of the danger factor those that have posted they will take the risk fine - as long as you understand it is there. The OP was not exagerating the dangers. These things will literally explode if dropped - especially if full of beer - into very nasty shards of glass. To minimize the risk I always move them when they are dry and my hands are dry. I never try to pour out a full carboy - I always siphon the bulk of the water out before dumping the last.

GT

Okay, I'm back. I was previously Jimmy Von Tripel but I've switched over to PrometheusBierus because of an exchange of words with a friendly forum critic.

Here is the 50 gallons of beer, cider and mead.

For those of you that wanted a list:

Dry Show Mead - 10 gallons
Westmalle Tripel Clone - 5 gallons
Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter - 5 gallons
Ed Worts Apfelwein - 5 gallons
Belgian Wheat yeast Cider - 10 gallons
Hefeweizen yeast Cider - 10 gallons
Belgian Strong yeast Cider - 5 gallons

All the special cider yeasts are Wyeast.

I just carbonated the ciders in the kegs yesterday.

I'm going to leave the ciders in the kegs for 3 months before I start to drink them. And unfortunately I have a large family that will have no problem in guzzling it all.

Prost!

8c13cxk.jpg

6xh413r.jpg

Back