Distiller's nutrient ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatFishGuy

Reaction score
hey everyone,
Im a few brews deep now, and on my last one i prepared my first starter. My question is regarding yeast nutrients. I know some people add them to old/ out dated yeast or just to boost the rate of cell division in starters. anyways, lets just say i remembered i had some "distiller's nutrient" from a previous project. Its intended for high alcohol mashes with low nutrients, ingredients are: yeast nutrients (ammonium phosphate [dibasic], magnesium sulfate), Micro nutrients, trace vitamins and minerals. Thats all the label says. now the directions start for alcohol levels as low as 8% so i have proper quantities in the direction, but do you think it would be ok to use this stuff in future starters? the brand is brewhaus if that helps at all.
Thanks,
Sam

should work but deffinetly use foam control too. faster fermentation means less time for kraseun to drop in your flask. Just wait till you wake up some morning to find yeast all over the counter and stirplate, running down the cabinets into a pool on the floor.

i've only heard of foam control a couple times. is it in powder form? would it not affect head retention in the eventual beer?

I'm not sure I'd use this product in a beer or wine that is intended to be consumed in it's natural state.
Of course there are a LOT of similarities in nutrients, but I'd be seriously concerned about the byproducts of this product that could be intended to be dis guarded with the "Forshots" when Distilling. Perhaps for the time and effort you'd put into a good beer or wine, you may just toss the distillers ingredients and go for the good stuff. Cheap insurance.

yeah, i mean i know yeast nutrients are cheap anyways. So its not like im saving any significant amount of money, I just wanted to see if i could use what I had on hand. Just to be safe i think i'll stick to the real stuff. If i ever get a chance I'll try it on a small test batch and report the results. Thanks everyone

Latest posts

Back