Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried my first beer (Classic American Light) after following the 2-2-2. I was disgusted. There is a very strong bread or yeast flavor in the beer. I tried to like it but it was undrinkable. Had to pour it down the drain. I'm not sure what I did wrong, followed instructions precisely. Anyone else have a strong yeast taste problem?

How much trub did you dredge up when you bottled? How long did you leave them in the fridge? How did you pour/drink the beer?

If you just tasted the last bottle you bottled on botteling day, it could have been much yeastier than the rest.

A week in the fridge will allow most all of the yeast to settle out.

If you drank out of the bottle, poured in a glass glugging all the way down to the last drop, or did multiple pours out of the same bottle, you just stirred up everything that settled out during conditioning and fridging. Bottle conditioned beers require gentle handeling.

I'm hearing more and more that I need to give it more time. I wasn't keeping track of what bottle was last/first. Poured in a glass, the trub stayed at the bottom of the bottle.

Thanks for the help

5 Days in to cold conditioning in the fridge, I cracked one open.

Not the worst beer I've had but,

There was some sugar remaining in the bottom of the bottle.:confused:

Taste confirmed it was sugar.

The beer was carbonated. I was careful on putting the sugar that was called for.

I fermented 2 week, conditioned in the bottle at room temp for 1 week.

So, what'd I do wrong?

5 Days in to cold conditioning in the fridge, I cracked one open.

Not the worst beer I've had but,

There was some sugar remaining in the bottom of the bottle.:confused:

Taste confirmed it was sugar.

The beer was carbonated. I was careful on putting the sugar that was called for.

I fermented 2 week, conditioned in the bottle at room temp for 1 week.

So, what'd I do wrong?

Sometimes it takes up to 3 weeks or more at 70f to carb. Remove them from the fridge, gently roll them to kick up the yeast, and leave them until the bottles are rock hard (if you use the plastic bottles) before sticking in the fridge.

I'm pretty happy. I found a thermometer and put it with my fermenter; it is 72 in there and stable, so should be pretty good right? I just guessed at a good place in my apartment, hoped the closet would work, seems I made a good choice. The stick-on indicator from MrBeer said it was good, but I'm glad to know more precisely what the temp is.

Also, I bottled mine after 3 weeks, been bottled a week since then. Most of it is in Grolsch bottles, but I used two plastic ones from the kit. They are already very hard, so carbing is working and there is not much sugar left in the bottle, not much of anything in the bottom, actually. I put one in the fridge, really want to taste it. I have my second kit brewing already and found my HBS very close to home which has lots of recipes, seems like a lot of good ingredients, and nice people who do regular classes on home brewing. So I figured what is one bottle gone if I don't like it, and tasting the beer at different stages will be a good learning experience, right?

I'm pretty happy. I found a thermometer and put it with my fermenter; it is 72 in there and stable, so should be pretty good right? I just guessed at a good place in my apartment, hoped the closet would work, seems I made a good choice. The stick-on indicator from MrBeer said it was good, but I'm glad to know more precisely what the temp is.

Also, I bottled mine after 3 weeks, been bottled a week since then. Most of it is in Grolsch bottles, but I used two plastic ones from the kit. They are already very hard, so carbing is working and there is not much sugar left in the bottle, not much of anything in the bottom, actually. I put one in the fridge, really want to taste it. I have my second kit brewing already and found my HBS very close to home which has lots of recipes, seems like a lot of good ingredients, and nice people who do regular classes on home brewing. So I figured what is one bottle gone if I don't like it, and tasting the beer at different stages will be a good learning experience, right?

Yeah I would taste it, it will show you how aging properly makes such a difference.

It is kinda like apple cider. Only been carbing a week, fermented 3, I don't expect it to be done, but any specific and obvious reason it would taste that way?

It is kinda like apple cider. Only been carbing a week, fermented 3, I don't expect it to be done, but any specific and obvious reason it would taste that way?

It's not ready yet. Give it a few more weeks at room temperature, then a week or two in the fridge.

Cool. I've read the threads about giving it time, but it is hard to think it will change so much just from... doing nothing and letting it sit. I guess it isn't 'nothing' happening in the bottle. And it seems weird the MrB instructions make it seem like such a quick process. So many people must be turned off just because they follow bad instructions, basically.
So the flavor at this stage is normal? It doesn't mean it won't ever taste like beer, or will always have some off flavor?

Cool. I've read the threads about giving it time, but it is hard to think it will change so much just from... doing nothing and letting it sit. I guess it isn't 'nothing' happening in the bottle. And it seems weird the MrB instructions make it seem like such a quick process. So many people must be turned off just because they follow bad instructions, basically.
So the flavor at this stage is normal? It doesn't mean it won't ever taste like beer, or will always have some off flavor?

Many, if not most, of flavors fade, then disappear with conditioning. The cider flavor is one that will go away completely.

The yeast in the bottle is still alive and will continue reading things, changing them into other things. First, they eat the sugar, turning it into alcohol and co2. They also produce things like acetaldehyde. That's the compound that tastes like apple cider. When the sugar is gone, they'll go after the acetaldehyde.

Tasted the first beer I've ever brewed. Classic American Light. Fermented for three weeks. Warm conditioned for two. Cold conditioned (fridge) one day. I was pleased with the taste, color and carbonation. Two of my family members thought it was good beer. Brewed the Defibrillator Doppleback yesterday. Anyone have suggestions on this one?

Well....if you brewed it yesterday it's a bit late for recommendations, isn't it? ;)

All kidding aside, I'm in the camp of "brew a few as-is to determine a baseline for later changes" and to get some experience under your belt before making tweaks.

Cheers.

I brewed and bottled the Mr. Beer raspberry wheat ale over a month ago. 3 weeks in the primary. Bottled conditioned for 3 weeks and put in the fridge for 2 days, and this stuff foams insanely bad when opened. So; I ended up getting some trub in my bottles, would this additional yeast in the bottle cause this? Will additional time in the fridge help to dissipate the the carbonation?

I brewed and bottled the Mr. Beer raspberry wheat ale over a month ago. 3 weeks in the primary. Bottled conditioned for 3 weeks and put in the fridge for 2 days, and this stuff foams insanely bad when opened. So; I ended up getting some trub in my bottles, would this additional yeast in the bottle cause this? Will additional time in the fridge help to dissipate the the carbonation?

You'll always have trub in the bottles. Does that recipe use actual raspberries? If there are bits of berries in the bottles, they can provide lots of nucleation points, and that can cause foaming. It's possible that more time in the fridge will help the bits settle out.

It's also possible that your beer is just over carbonated, in which case more time won't help.

Naturally carbed in the bottle will leave a thin layer of trub at the bottom of the bottle. How much sugar did you use when priming?

I went with the directions from the Mr. Beer kits. 2 1/2 tsp. There are bits of raspberry. When I cracked the cap it started to foam immediately, and being the enthusiast I have become, I couldn't stand seeing a wasted drop and started guzzling foam, trub, raspberries. Foam won.

Yes, it does use actual raspberries.

Checked on my second batch today. Been fermenting for about 3 wks now but I noticed some particles floating in the brew. Is this a problem and if so what do I need to do?

Checked on my second batch today. Been fermenting for about 3 wks now but I noticed some particles floating in the brew. Is this a problem and if so what do I need to do?

It is almost certainly nothing (yeast rafts, etc.) Is there a chance you could post a picture?

I went with the directions from the Mr. Beer kits. 2 1/2 tsp. There are bits of raspberry. When I cracked the cap it started to foam immediately, and being the enthusiast I have become, I couldn't stand seeing a wasted drop and started guzzling foam, trub, raspberries. Foam won.

Yes, it does use actual raspberries.

I apologize if this sounds like a dumb question, but did you have raspberries or bits of raspberries in the bottles?

Tasted the first beer I've ever brewed. Classic American Light. Fermented for three weeks. Warm conditioned for two. Cold conditioned (fridge) one day. I was pleased with the taste, color and carbonation. Two of my family members thought it was good beer. Brewed the Defibrillator Doppleback yesterday. Anyone have suggestions on this one?

Be sure to let the Defib Dopplebach bottle condition at least as long as recommended by Mr. Beer

One of my first batch beers!

ForumRunner_20130204_185211.png

Have just starting brewing using Mr. Beer and have 2 questions. Brewed and bottled the Lager and it is carbonating at 55 degrees for 2 weeks. Is this finished and when should i put in fridge? 2nd brewed Blonde Ale and it has bee carbonating at 65 degrees for 1 week plus. When is this ready to go into fridge? Lastly if there is still a bit of sediment in bottles does that mean priming sugar is still in bottle.

Bottles are better primed/conditioned at 70 degrees for 3 weeks or so, then into the fridge.
The sediment should be there, it means the yeast is going its job and carbing the beer.

Getting ready to bottle my first batch with glass bottles. I have 12 fat tire and 12 Sam Adams bottles. I rinsed them after I drank them, they have been sitting in the garage since. What is my next step? I have oxiclean. Figured set up a bucket full of that (how much oxi per gallon of water?). Let it sit for an hour? Then just rinse in hot water again? Then use the mr beer cleaner right before bottling? With no rinse after?

Any tips to using the red Barron capper? Was going to cap half and put half in the plastic bottles to compare.

I assume you haven't de-labeled then? Oxyclean is good of that. I usually do it in my sink bc there is more space. I do about half a scoop with however much water (hottish) is required to submerge the bottles. After about 20-30 minutes, the labels will either fall off on their own or slide off pretty easily. Rinse thoroughly. Then I soak in the no rinse sanitizer, making sure its gets in the bottle, then plug the hole with your thumb/finger and shake for several seconds. Allow to air dry. I guess you could also mix up some sanitising solution and pour directly into the bottles and shake.
Capper is pretty easy. Just center up the cap, place capper without shifting the cap too much and swing the arms down. Make sure to do this on a flat, hard surface. I prefer capping on the floor.

I would use all glass if you got it except for maybe two so you can squeeze and judge the carb, opening your own beer in glass bottles with a opener rocks!

Hello everyone, first post here and first time brewing. I received a mr beer for Christmas from my father. We were talking about home brew one day so he decided to grab it to get me started.

Anyway, 4 weeks ago I brewed up the Chzech pilsner. I figured I would let it ferment for 2-3 weeks and then bottle it. I ended up waiting 4 weeks. While I was bottling today I noticed that the beer smelt sweet, almost like a wine. It also tasted kind of sweet too. Should I expect this to go away after it bottle conditions for a few more weeks?

Btw I didn't feel comfortable doing the whole add sugar to the bottles thing. Instead I boiled a cup or so of water, removed from heat, added about a 1/4 cup of sugar, added that to a bottling bucket and proceeded to transfer then bottle. I got the sugar measurement from the calculator on northern brewer site.

The color and clarity of the beer is great, just wondering about the sweet taste.

stevehardt said:
I apologize if this sounds like a dumb question, but did you have raspberries or bits of raspberries in the bottles?

Not dumb at all cause I was the dumb one who allowed them to enter the bottle. Bout everyone of them had a little.

I have a mr beer kit and just got the st Patrick's Irish stout refill as a gift. After mixing in the mr beer keg, will it benefit to leave it in longer and what experience has anyone had with this refill?

:-( first batch Tastes like bud lt or big 3 light beer. Very disappointed. I have the Irish stout in right now and hope its better.

6894Kevin said:
:-( first batch Tastes like bud lt or big 3 light beer. Very disappointed. I have the Irish stout in right now and hope its better.

Which one was it? If it was the American Light one; then I would assume it would taste like a Domestic Light beer ;o)

Quick question. I have 4 mr beer 2gallon tanks and have four batches going, they are all strong beers with most having at least two cans of the HME and maybe a booster (recipes from the web site) any way they have all been sitting a little over two weeks and are all starting to taste great (little sips every three days or so) but I have noticed that when I poor a little test taste into a glass they all have white creamy looking things at the bottom of the glass. I assume this is a sign the ferment is not complete etc. But thought I would ask.

Back