Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoCalBrewing

Reaction score
I made a starter on Monday Night. Im planning on pitching it tomorrow morning. When I made it I put in 1000 mls of water, about a half cup of LDME and a pinch of Yeast Nutrient. I boiled it for 20 minutes which took it down to about 800mls of wort. I tossed in 2 white labs Irish Stout vials. Then I covered it with foil. I have been swirling it about 5 times a day.

I just want to make sure it is working right. There is tons of floculation on the bottom, and it smells like beer (the smell is coming out of the foil, Im not opening it). Is this about what is to be expected?

SoCalBrewing said:
I made a starter on Monday Night. Im planning on pitching it tomorrow morning. When I made it I put in 1000 mls of water, about a half cup of LDME and a pinch of Yeast Nutrient. I boiled it for 20 minutes which took it down to about 800mls of wort. I tossed in 2 white labs Irish Stout vials. Then I covered it with foil. I have been swirling it about 5 times a day.

I just want to make sure it is working right. There is tons of floculation on the bottom, and it smells like beer (the smell is coming out of the foil, Im not opening it). Is this about what is to be expected?

Yes this would be good as its fermenting and expelling co2 which why you smell it...if you had an airlock on it, it would be bubbling. I wouldn't have used two vials though, that is rather expensive and not needed.

I did it on the recommendation from the LHBS. Yeah, in hind site I would have only used 1. You live and learn and guess.

You did cool it before adding the viles, right? You didn't mention that, but it's critically important.

Also, a half-cup DME in a liter of water is on the low side; generally, a half-cup in a pint gives you the ~1.040 recommended starter gravity. Yours was probably closer to 1.020.

Probably won't be an issue (especially with two vials :eek: ) but might help in the future.

SoCalBrewing said:
I did it on the recommendation from the LHBS. Yeah, in hind site I would have only used 1. You live and learn and guess.

Beware of LHBS guys that "recommend" you spend more money in their shops...

Pitching 2 vials is not a bad idea if you aren't going to make a starter. But starters are more fun and save money.

yeah, if you need more yeast than a starter can produce with 1 vial than you can make a starter, than make a bigger starter with that, then make a bigger starter with that, etc.

greenhornet said:
Better wash that yeast to try and recoup some of the money spent!

Good call. Save those vials you can use them to hold the washed yeast or send them in for White Labs stuff.

Back