1st brewed tasted- it's good!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just cracked open my first ever, a English Brown Ale. It's only been bottled since Friday, but my husband was dying to try it and we opened one. It's very good! I prefer a hoppy brew, but my husband likes milder ones and this one is right up his alley. I'm thinking it's only going to get better. I guessed that the beers costs about 60 cents each to make, not including equipment costs. Now, I want to start washing yeasts and maybe try a lager in the future. This hobby is addicting!

Lorena

Congrats on the first brew. It will get even more addicting as you continue to brew and get more experienced. You might just convert him into a hophead. :D

If you think it's good now, just wait a few weeks ;)

I know it's hard to wait sometimes, but even on the most simple of brews, a few weeks makes a huge difference (especially on a beer similar to a brown ale).

lorenae said:
I just cracked open my first ever, a English Brown Ale. It's only been bottled since Friday, but my husband was dying to try it and we opened one. It's very good! I prefer a hoppy brew, but my husband likes milder ones and this one is right up his alley. I'm thinking it's only going to get better. I guessed that the beers costs about 60 cents each to make, not including equipment costs. Now, I want to start washing yeasts and maybe try a lager in the future. This hobby is addicting!

Lorena
Whats the ingrediance. Im so psyched to try some of my OWN beer. Its been in bottles since saturday and im dying to crack one...
I would appreciate a recipe as well...
Anyway congrats you are a brewer! :rockin:

Eric

It was a kit by Brewer's Best, simple and quick.

3.3 lbs plain amber malt extract (liquid)
2 lbs plain amber DME
8 oz Crystal Malt 60L
1 oz Willamette Hops (bittering)
.5 oz Willamette Hops (finishing)
Beer Yeast (I already forgot what kind, and didn't write it down! I think it was probably Nottingham Dry yeast, )

Steeped crystal malt in a grain bag for 20 minutes. Did a 60 minute boil. Finishing hops were in for the last 5 minutes. It spent a week in the primary and 10 days in the secondary. Nice and clear, and bottled with priming sugar.

I had a few incidences during my first brewing and was on this board with (stupid) questions over them. But.... I made BEER!

We drank that one tonight, and then we had to have something else. I had Molson in the fridge- what a difference! The Molson was pale and flavorless by comparison. I think I'm officially becoming a beer snob!

Washing your own yeast is easy! just remember that sanitization counts a lot more of you plan to store it!
Congrats! Now is when the real fun can begin. Now you know how good you can make beer... you can start to try other kinds... :)

Back