What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just really started to enjoy the craft brew experience. I actually liked fat tire..my first beer I brewed was an irish amber..it tasted similar...very malty

Had a friend recommend Clown Shoes brewing Tramp Stamp. Yuck, tased like a band aid to me. May have got a bad bottle, because he loves that beer.

Just had to try some imperial IPA or another, name escapes me now but it's seasonal with a green label. It was a bitter-syrupy, bitter...

I considered 'diluting' it down with some of the amber I had on hand at the time but didn't want to waste them.

Well, got that off the bucket list anyway. If you like such beers that's cool. Just not for me.

Edit: "Hoptimum".

I just really started to enjoy the craft brew experience. I actually liked fat tire..my first beer I brewed was an irish amber..it tasted similar...very malty

Here in the Omaha, NE area we have a brewery called "Lucky Bucket". Their Pre-prohibition Lager is the bomb! It's like Fat Tire but without the "victory malt smack"...

I'm currently tweaking an ale recipe/water build on Brewers Friend that I hope (haha) will be similar to it. Using melanoidin at around 5% rather than victory, caramunich I vise caramunich II and about 50% of the base will be vienna rather than the crystal 80 and caramunich II the brewer states he uses for the pre-prohibition. Similar SRM but maybe less bite than fat tire? I dunno, a guy can dream!

7brau ipa is the only widely available craft brew from korea. it's 5% alcohol and not an ipa in bitterness or hop flavour, not to mention it's usually off and nearly sour tasting. terrible terrible **** from a country that will never understand good beer

Just had New Belgium snapshot..I dont know if I just dont like sour beers or if its carbonated urine.

Matts Burning Rosids from Stone The only beer that I just couldn't drink.

Due to this thread, i threw my bottle in the fridge and cracked it tonight. While I wouldn't say it really is a saison as I think it falls way outside the style limits, it still was pretty good. A bit heavy and sweet, but pretty tasty. I didn't taste much smoke in it, just saison character. WIsh it were a bit less boozy and thick, then it would have been really good. I really only bought the bottle because of the reason behind it.

Matts Burning Rosids or something like that. It is the only beer that after 3 sips I poured it out may Matt forgive me.

I really liked matts burning rosids. .. probably my favorite stone beer.

My new least favorite beer, and the only beer I have tried that I couldn't PHYSICALLY drink any more than a sip of, is Ghost Scorpion from Elevator brewing. . It's one of those novelty beers with added ghost chiles.

Couple sitting next to the wife and myself at the bar bought one and couldn't drink more than a sip. they offered me some and, being a lover of spicy foods and trying new beer, I tried about an oz.

The result was a terrible beer and I'm pretty sure I will be paying for that choice later on this morning...

I really liked matts burning rosids. .. probably my favorite stone beer.

My new least favorite beer, and the only beer I have tried that I couldn't PHYSICALLY drink any more than a sip of, is Ghost Scorpion from Elevator brewing. . It's one of those novelty beers with added ghost chiles.

Couple sitting next to the wife and myself at the bar bought one and couldn't drink more than a sip. they offered me some and, being a lover of spicy foods and trying new beer, I tried about an oz.

The result was a terrible beer and I'm pretty sure I will be paying for that choice later on this morning...

I'm a chili head from way back. I'm growing some Ghost peppers now in pots. As much as I love them, I can not imagine why anyone would think pairing these with beer would be a good idea. I could see a specialty beer using a bit of pepper for a hint of spice, that would be interesting. However, Ghost peppers are so intense. People who haven't experienced them really has no idea how intense they actually are. To put it in perspective, I can eat Habanaro peppers like grapes. Sure, they are really hot but I'll be fine. I once ate a giant Ghost pepper whole, ruined the rest of my next two days. I had to lay down, there was a point I thought I was going to lose consciousness. And that was just the first 30 minutes after eating it. Suffering, of one form or another, continued for 2 days.

Stone's OAKED Arrogant Bastard. I like the standard AB well enough, and figured hey, I like a lot of beers aged on oak, I'll bet this is good.
Absolutely horrendous, I thought my tongue was going to shrivel up. I kept drinking it thinking "This has got to be some kind of tastebud learning curve thing, I just have to train my tongue to get used to it." Nope, I couldn't. I finished one just to say I had and gave the rest to a friend. He liked it.

Last night I tried Heretic BC's Evil Cousin for the first time. I wouldn't necessarily call it the worst beer I've ever had, but man, what a terrible IIPA. It was an absolute caramel bomb. I double checked the bottling date just to make sure it wasn't a year old...it was bottled on 6/16. I made it through about 4 sips before dumping it. $8 down the drain. Illustrates exactly why I'm always hesitant to pick a beer off the shelf without having a sample first.

That's why I live mix and match bottle shops. I almost never buy a whole 4 or 6 pack of something anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I almost never buy a whole 4 or 6 pack of something anymore.

Me too. Not unless it's a beer I know and love.

The 'bombers only' trend that seems to be popular now is driving me nuts. I pay $8 for one bottle of beer because that's the only choice I get. Then the beer gets dumped. Awesome.

Yeah I'm not big on bombers either. Just feel like it makes me drink more. I like having just 1 beer

Last night I tried Heretic BC's Evil Cousin for the first time. I wouldn't necessarily call it the worst beer I've ever had, but man, what a terrible IIPA. It was an absolute caramel bomb. I double checked the bottling date just to make sure it wasn't a year old...it was bottled on 6/16. I made it through about 4 sips before dumping it. $8 down the drain. Illustrates exactly why I'm always hesitant to pick a beer off the shelf without having a sample first.

I've had Evil Cousin fresh on tap and it's awesome. I've also had it bottled and had the same experience as you. It's very susceptible to poor handling and loses hop flavor and aroma really fast. It's really a shame because fresh it's fantastic.

Old Monk 10000. It was like a really bad BMC style beer with shots of tequila in it. No head, no lacing, and nothing redeeming about it. It was handily masquerading as a craft beer sold by the bottle in the craft beer section for a craft beer price. If it was crafted, it was crafted by monkeys drinking tequila.

EDIT: I would like to add that I should have known better. The bottle was made so poorly that I was a little surprised it didn't burst on the shelf. The glass of the bottle looked like that decorative glass which is saturated with bubbles. That should have been a clue.

I'm a chili head from way back. I'm growing some Ghost peppers now in pots. As much as I love them, I can not imagine why anyone would think pairing these with beer would be a good idea. I could see a specialty beer using a bit of pepper for a hint of spice, that would be interesting. However, Ghost peppers are so intense. People who haven't experienced them really has no idea how intense they actually are. To put it in perspective, I can eat Habanaro peppers like grapes. Sure, they are really hot but I'll be fine. I once ate a giant Ghost pepper whole, ruined the rest of my next two days. I had to lay down, there was a point I thought I was going to lose consciousness. And that was just the first 30 minutes after eating it. Suffering, of one form or another, continued for 2 days.

I live in Cincinnati, and there's a brewery here that makes a RIS with ghost chiles (Rivertown Death). While I like peppers and spicy food, I am not generally a fan of chile beers, but this beer is fantastically balanced. You could actually, probably, have two and not have your palate wrecked. It's delicious. It really can be done (just don't eat the peppers out of the keg...)

Just tried another realy bad beer last night. Catty Wompus from devils backbone, a fairly local brewery so I try their beers when I see them. Glad I did the mix and match 6er. The bottle says Belgium inspired ipa. It should say beer like substance hopped with moldy grass clippings.

^

DB is only a few miles from me, I think they're over rated......The Vienna Lager sucks balls.......

Yea I haven't tried anything but the Vienna and that catty whompus neither were good. center of the universe is closer to me and they make some very nice beers.

Tried "Wisconsinite" from Lakefront Brewery. Freakin' horrible. The upfront flavor was okay, but then it turned to sour lemongrass with a horrible lingering. I usually love Lakefront - really disappointed. Maybe it was bad, who knows.

Racer 5 IPA. Tried it thrice. Never nice. It's dead to me now.

My brother and I did a tasting of like 6 craft beers at Sloppy Joe's in key west and I would say that there were fairly horrible. I haven't had a lot of "craft" beer, but to my taste, some of the worst that I have had were Sierra Nevada and Duchesse de Bourgogne.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407592188.758614.jpg
Lucky budha beer, not the worst but not good. Had to buy it for the bottle though

"If you've made something that doesn't offend anybody, you've made Budweiser"
-Augie Carton-

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407592340.417631.jpg
Hands down worst beer I've ever drank, still finished it though. It was top competitor with rogues voodoo beers in terms of gimmick and drink ability for me

"If you've made something that doesn't offend anybody, you've made Budweiser"
-Augie Carton-

I tried Terrapin's Guano Loco last night... they got the Guano part right and you'd have to be loco to drink it again.

Yeah. I just assumed they were trolling.

Haha. Nope not trolling. My buddies love the stuff, and I've tried it enough to know I should avoid it. Something about the malt character that tastes funny to me. Just one man's opinion...

Haha. Nope not trolling. My buddies love the stuff, and I've tried it enough to know I should avoid it. Something about the malt character that tastes funny to me. Just one man's opinion...

I have to agree. Far from the worst I've had, but I am not a fan

Idk..but just drank a sam adams rebel ipa..the aroma kinda reminded me of burnt hair and cat pee..thank god I have founders centennial ipa to drink too

Back