pomegranate wheat recipe? (pomegranate molasses)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SKYY

Reaction score
I've done a bit of research, and it seems that POM juice, pomegranate fruit, and most store-bought varieties of pomegranate flavor are inadequate. So, I've got a decent shipment of traditional persian pomegranate molasses (36 oz) on the way, since it's probably the most concentrated form of this fruit.

If I were to make a 5-gallon batch of a wheat beer, how much pomegranate molasses should I add? A full 16 oz? More? I intend for this beer to be around 6-7% ABV, with a decent dose of hop bitterness.

Does anyone have experience using this stuff?

Sadly, my ultimate intent is to make a potent yet flavorful "girly" beer. I know that I won't overdo the beer aspect of this brew, but I don't want to overdo the pomegranate!

I wouldn't go a full 16oz, having tried it it is fairly strong in flavor and I think a little bit will go a long way, I would look into 8 or 10oz and if you want a more pronounced flavor add it late into secondary, or even add it at bottling correcting so that there aren't any bottle bombs.

I think that's a sound way to start this thing.

I've gotten quite good at gauging how a beer will end up via wort tasting, and then tasting the beer during racking from primary to secondary, and then from secondary to bottling. I think I can apply those skills to make a great pomegranate wheat, in this case. I'll be sure to post the results, if successful, as there is not much information out there on brewing with pomegranate molasses.

I made a pumpkin ale recipe months ago for a that called for a 15 oz can of pumpkin to be added during the boil, and the flavor ended up being scant, at best. I'm going to try the same recipe again, with 30 oz of pumpkin during the boil, and then maybe another 15 during secondary. I want to taste the pumpkin, for cryin' out loud. :)

My shipment of 6 x 9.5 oz pomegranate molasses from Amazon ("Al Wadi Alakhdar" brand, made in Lebanon) just arrived, and all I have to say, is "wow." This stuff is definitely going to find its way into one or two of my brews. Story to follow.

I decided to open one up to taste it as a flavoring agent. It's extremely tart, but extremely sweet, and quite aromatic. As a test, I decided to pour just a few drops of this thick liquid into a fluted beer glass, to which I added an entire bottle of the absolutely disgusting Bud Light Premium (don't ask why I even buy these--it's a long, sad story). The POMMOL (I'll abbreviate Pomegranate Molasses as such from here on out) made this stuff go from tasting like purified alligator piss, to extraordinarily flavorful...and something I'd gladly drink again.

I plan on adding one 9.5oz bottle to my wheat beer during racking. There's a lot of sugars to ferment in one bottle, thus adding it during the bottling phase would probably result in glass bombs.

Back