You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting this for an early Father's Day present:

ForumRunner_20130610_222222.png

Yes, bbq is a requirement. However, this is a brewing apron... not sure how much use it will get cuz it's kinda silly, but.it was a really cool thought.

When Midwest supply has a father's day promo where if you buy a $125 gift card you get a free beginners brew set up even though you already have all that equipment and you're not a father.

your wife gets mad because you've emptied one of the kitchen canisters of brown rice and filled it with unused bottle caps because the caps get used more and it makes sense to have them handy :)

When you only drink 2/3 of a beer, so you can harvest the yeast from the bottles. Then you have a lot of yeast, so you look into doing slants so you can harvest more strains that you can't buy commercially. It's a vicious, but tasty cycle...
Oh, also when you take a keg of IPA on vacation to your non-beer drinking in-laws place so you'll have something to drink besides overly sweet tea for 2 weeks (getting ready to do just that).

you know your a homebrewer when you try to trade beer for soda kegs...........

that happened to me when I ended up donating 3 cases of beer to a ice cream store (it was for a beer festive and no-one drank it so I figured Id cash out and trade for ice cream), and I saw that they had some ball locks.....

yea not even I thought it was going to happen, but still, I had to ask ^_^

When you only drink 2/3 of a beer, so you can harvest the yeast from the bottles. Then you have a lot of yeast, so you look into doing slants so you can harvest more strains that you can't buy commercially. It's a vicious, but tasty cycle...
Oh, also when you take a keg of IPA on vacation to your non-beer drinking in-laws place so you'll have something to drink besides overly sweet tea for 2 weeks (getting ready to do just that).

I'm rather skeptical on harvesting yeast from the bottom of bottles (I've had very bad results with such yeast), but kudos for prepping in advance for being deprived of beer ;)

skullface1818 said:
I'm rather skeptical on harvesting yeast from the bottom of bottles (I've had very bad results with such yeast), but kudos for prepping in advance for being deprived of beer ;)

I've had good results, but I go for fresh bottles, which makes a huge difference. I also do step starters with anything I harvest, and I always have a backup, in case the harvested yeast stalls (which hasn't happened yet).

when you go into panic mode if your down to only 1 primary with brew. I"m now at my comfort level back up to four 5 gallon primaries fermenting/aging. Wipes brow followed by Sigh of relief.

When you buy beer for bottles to delabel in anticipation of beers you're sending to others. Even though you have plenty & don't really need them.

Or when you start a batch and already have the next few planned.

One in the queue, Hope and Prayer Scotch Ale (Hope and King clone). And the next four planned. Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, Bourbon Barrel porter, a buddy's IPA recipe I really liked, and a Moose Drool clone.

When you've been at it for a couple of years,& you still hardly ever repeat brew anything. too busy trying new beer & brewing styles.

When you spend the whole day fathers day cleaning and taking labels of bottles and cleaning your shed to try make room to put more beer cause your shed is only 6foot square and you've no room left.

O yeh I also squeezed in an I.p.a from a milestone kit I got an SG-1052 added an extra 500g of spray malt and only made 20ltres instead of 22.5 hope it turns out ok

When your wife asks what you want to do on Father's Day, and of course, you reply" Brew!".... And you get to. Yay

I got in a bottling day yesterday,cleaned all that up today,soaking the fermenter in PBW,got the other fermenter cleaned up,straightened up the brewery. Crushed the grains for another Berlin Wheat kit after brushing & picking the rollers clean. Got a lump on my back from a bad L2 disc & my hips are killin me. will seal up grain bucket & brew in the morning. 6 hour brew day from now would be too late for today. At least the homer cheapo bucket has a good seal on the lid. Not bad for the 5-8 bucks I paid for it & the lid.

Your wife says, "Why can't you make the stout the way you used to when you started brewing?"

So you consult the archives to figure out what has changed, besides going all-grain.

Your wife says, "Why can't you make the stout the way you used to when you started brewing?"

So you consult the archives to figure out what has changed, besides going all-grain.

Or when the wife pleads for you to brew that mexican beer (Coopers Cerveza including the 1 kg of sugar) you did once because it was good. Finally relented and brewed it when it was on special... after taking a month to ferment and carb she has one glass and says "nah this ain't as good as your beer now, are you sure you did everything the same?"
Yes I did, it is just the bar has been raised since moving on from Coopers kits! :D

When you convince your wife we need a chest freezer just to clear it out a few months later for your new kegs/fermenters (She wasn't pleased lol)

...you take LOTS of beer to the new neighbor who has ample sunny space in his backyard, and successfully convince him to embark on a joint project growing hops.

Or, when you're willing to drive across town for an unknown quantity of used bottles posted on freecycle, and wind up with six cases plus some amazing 1970s homebrewing literature.

(And that was just the past few days!)

fuzzy2133 said:
+1
I started keeping cash in an envelope hidden away.

+1
I always write down how much gas I put in my truck every week. I always write $10+ over so by the end of the month I have $40 in my pocket and can go to the LHBS but the wife will only see everything I spent over that 40. It works outs if you know what I mean. I just tell her that it was all on sale when she sees how much I bring home.

Glad I'm not the only one that hides money $5 at a time whenever I go to 7-11 or the grocery store. Or when I buy to much stuff at the LHBS or cigar shop they have a "sale"

+1
I always write down how much gas I put in my truck every week. I always write $10+ over so by the end of the month I have $40 in my pocket and can go to the LHBS but the wife will only see everything I spent over that 40. It works outs if you know what I mean. I just tell her that it was all on sale when she sees how much I bring home.

Oh that's good....

Latest posts

Back