high final gavity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syblue

Reaction score
My Porter ended at 1.030 I was shooting for 1.018. I let it ferment for four weeks. My problem was I mashed to high, I was trying to hit 156 but when I checked my first runnings it was about 162.

I racked it to a keg last night to start carbing. This morning I was thinking about adding water to thin it out a bit.

Has anyone done this before?

Don't, you're just going to water down your beer, not remove the excess sweetness from the higher gravity.

syblue said:
So you think I should just leave it and let it be thick and sweet?

Since its already in the keg I'd say yes, carb it up and leave it be for a bit and try and figure out what went wrong in your process so you can correct it next time.

syblue said:
My Porter ended at 1.030 I was shooting for 1.018. I let it ferment for four weeks. My problem was I mashed to high, I was trying to hit 156 but when I checked my first runnings it was about 162.

I racked it to a keg last night to start carbing. This morning I was thinking about adding water to thin it out a bit.

Has anyone done this before?

156 for a Porter? This is just my thought, but why would you want to mash a Porter at 156? You're at the upper edge of good conversion and what youre going to end up with is more of a bock-like sweet finished product as opposed to that dry English porter feel you're going for.

Back