Pitching Yeast w/o Energizer & Nutrient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyleisdesign

Reaction score
So I decided to brew a hard cherry limeade this evening. As I am cooling down the "wort" I go to measure out the Yeast Energizer and Nutrient only to realize that they are both not at my home and I cannot retrieve them until tomorrow evening. I am wondering whether I should go ahead and pitch my yeast tonight then add the energizer and nutrient tomorrow or should I just put the "wort" into the sanitized carboy and wait until tomorrow evening to add the yeast and the energizer and nutrient?

Proper nutrition is most important during the growth phase of fermentation where the yeast are getting used to their new environment (your wort) and propagating and gearing up their biological functions to best deal with their surroundings. If you are careful sealing the wort in a sanitary manner there is no harm in letting it sit until tomorrow when you can pitch all the fixins together as planned.

That's what I assumed. Thank you for confirming! Everything was sanitized along the way so I should be good for 24 hours hopefully.

Personally, I'd pitch now. Ideally, you want the nutrients and a quick pitch, but given the choice, I'd rather not give the bacteria a 24 head start. Just my $.02.

Hmm now I am conflicted. Would it make sense to leave it at a happy medium and pitch the yeast in the morning so there would only be a 12 hour delay on pitching the yeast and only like a 12 hour delay until the nutrients are added?

Wait. Like Skunky said, the nutrients are the most important the first day of fermentation. If you pitch now, you might as well forget the nutrients altogether.

But don't take our word for it. The Yeast book has the answers you are looking for.

Back