Scored a keg!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

God Emporer BillyBrew

Reaction score
I kept thinking that if I hit enough garage sales that I'd find something useful for brewing eventually. It happened today. I got a Budweiser keg for $10.

I need some advice on cutting it. I'm thinking about using my Dremel with a heavy duty cutting wheel. How close to the edge should I cut it? How do I make it perfectly round? Or do I need to? What can I use as a lid?

Also, are there any safety precautions I should take dealing with the pressure?

A Sawzall or equivalent reciprocating saw with the proper blade will make very quick work of the keg. I didn't try a jig-saw but I would think it would work but not nearly as well as the sawzall. About 60 seconds of noise but it will then allow you to dull the shart edge with your Dremel.

I never place a lid over my boil keggle because I just know that I'd have boil over issues.

I second the bastard remark!

I'm starting to scout out for kegs, cheapest I'm finding is ~$50+shipping on eBay. I keep checking Craigslist as well, but haven't seen much yet. Nice score - helluva score!

I was trying to be nice...

There was a special cutting wheel someone used on their dremel that did a great job. I think others have used angle grinders, if you have one. One suggestion that was made was to partially fill the keg with water when you cut it, to keep it in place on the ground better.

Mine was done with a grinder with a cutting wheel. Made a nice clean edge. I measured the diameter of the lid that I wanted to use, then made a loop of string to put around the keg head, and adjusted until it equaled the radius. Slip a sharpie in the loop and you have a compass. worked fine for me.

Truble said:
Mine was done with a grinder with a cutting wheel. Made a nice clean edge. I measured the diameter of the lid that I wanted to use, then made a loop of string to put around the keg head, and adjusted until it equaled the radius. Slip a sharpie in the loop and you have a compass. worked fine for me.

hmm, great minds. That's what I ended up doing. I've already started cutting and it is eating through some Dremel wheels. I'll probably need about 10 at this rate. and these are the fiberglass reinforced.

I'm pretty much stuck with a Dremel because I don't have a die grinder or sawzall. though I did see die grinders for $8 the other day. Still would probably be cheaper to just buy more cut off wheels.

about the pressure . . .
You can take apice of tin foil and fold it up until it's about 1/8 - 1/4 of an inch think then press down the ball and slide the tin foil half way in keeping the ball from sealing and keep it at atmospheric pressure.

Just one warning . . . be carefull when you depress the ball or ya may end up covered in old stale Bud . . . yeah it happened to me

Pumbaa said:
about the pressure . . .
You can take apice of tin foil and fold it up until it's about 1/8 - 1/4 of an inch think then press down the ball and slide the tin foil half way in keeping the ball from sealing and keep it at atmospheric pressure.

Just one warning . . . be carefull when you depress the ball or ya may end up covered in old stale Bud . . . yeah it happened to me

Lay it on its side before you purge it. Unless she's 1/2 full the pickup tube will be uncovered. As Pumbaa can attest, a stale buttwiper shower's no fun!!! :eek:

Be careful though. The pickup tube may still have some skanky old beer in it. There's no avoiding that little bit of juice...

I scored a couple yesterday. Buddy picked up two for me at a scrap yard. Freaking sweet. I'll get them in my possession in two weeks. Can't wait. Another buddy spends his days tinkering in a shop all day, so he is gonna cut tops with plasma & do some sanitary welds for fittings - for 2.5gallons of beer. What a deal for both of us.

I've found that people will do amazing things for you if payment is made in beer. Buddy who picked up the kegs gets 2.5 gallons & reimbursed for the kegs. (~$50)

Everyone is happy. (Especially me.)

If you are going to use a plasma torch to cut the top, you will want to drill a hole first, and fill it up with water. The water will catch and cool any blowthrough before it has a chance to hit the stainless inside. It will be easier to clean, and as others have stated, more stable whil cutting.

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
I kept thinking that if I hit enough garage sales that I'd find something useful for brewing eventually. It happened today. I got a Budweiser keg for $10.

I need some advice on cutting it. I'm thinking about using my Dremel with a heavy duty cutting wheel. How close to the edge should I cut it? How do I make it perfectly round? Or do I need to? What can I use as a lid?

Also, are there any safety precautions I should take dealing with the pressure?
The best way I've found was to buy a 12 in stainless steel lid for a large kettle or steal swmbo's lid for her largest cooking pot! (Danger will Robinson) and then measure the diameter of the lip on the lid. Then make a paper template and center on keg, scribe a line exactly where you want the hole located. Then I would take the keg to the welding shop and have the hole plasma cut , should'nt be more than 10 to 15 dollars and the hole will be perfect!!!

smogman said:
The best way I've found was to buy a 12 in stainless steel lid for a large kettle or steal swmbo's lid for her largest cooking pot! (Danger will Robinson) and then measure the diameter of the lip on the lid. Then make a paper template and center on keg, scribe a line exactly where you want the hole located. Then I would take the keg to the welding shop and have the hole plasma cut , should'nt be more than 10 to 15 dollars and the hole will be perfect!!!

An inverted 5 gallon plastic bucket will give you a perfect template for a 12" diameter hole.

Well, I've already started cutting, but I bet I can find a lid to fit somehow.

At the rate I'm going, I might end up taking it to somebody with a torch. I've had it about 3 weeks and have only cut about six inches worth with my Dremel. Been busy making beer and working!

I'll glady take the bastige remarks for a deal like this! Small price to pay. However, a-hole would have been more accurate.

A-hole....

:D

Sorry I was late with that Billy. :D

Sorry to read about the delay too. (friggin work, when is that crap gonna be outlawed) From what I've read the whole process is a real bi&ch... I'm interested in how yours shakes out.

Keep us updated... :rockin:

Ize

Well, I've already started cutting, but I bet I can find a lid to fit somehow.

At the rate I'm going, I might end up taking it to somebody with a torch. I've had it about 3 weeks and have only cut about six inches worth with my Dremel. Been busy making beer and working!

Tell you what, I'll do you a favor. Pack up the keg and ship it out to me. I'll cut a hole and send it back to you, promise...

(I'll send you the hole).

Back