yeast starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcrooker

Reaction score
I made a yeast starter last night and wanted to step it up and didn't want to decant. If the vessel is large enough can I just add cooled wort into it without any ill affects? Or is it advised to decant? It was really old yeast that I wanted to take baby steps with so it's in a 4L flask and started with 1L of wort.

from what I've read (note.. never done it before) Decanting will get rid of the alcohol that is building up that may stress the yeast.

The amount of alcohol in a starter should be little enough to not stress the yeast at all, otherwise what's the point of making a starter? Decanting is nice when you have a 2 liter flask. If you have the means to just add new wort and don't want to decant, then I say go for it.

Thanks for the quick responses. I'm going to just add another liter tonight and call it good. Thanks again!

Back