Tapping my first homebrew keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katy_bug

Reaction score
and I have some pretty basic questions.

We primed and naturally carbonated the keg. Should I cool the keg and then tap OR should I hook up the tap and put the keg under pressure before I cool? Right now the keg is at 65F.

Shouldn't matter either way. Your pressure is probably much higher from natural carbonation than the serving pressure. I typically toss it on the co2 and put it in to cool at the same time. I then bleed a bit off to serving pressure when I am ready to drink. Cheers!

Just like a bottle, you really want the keg to cool down to 40F or so for 2-3 days to allow the carbonation to dissolve into the solution. Otherwise, you are going to have super foamy, undercarbonated beer, because most of the CO2 will just be in the headspace of the keg causing disturbance.

Chill it for 2-3 days before your first pour!

Well, I cooled it to 40 degrees Thursday and then tapped on Friday evening after work. Perfect! My first homebrewing success!

Back