How long off the gas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slackerlack

Reaction score
I have a keg that has been on 12 psi for about a month now. If I take it off the gas line to take to a friends house, what will happen? How long will the pressure last to pour out beers? Will I loose carbonation in the beer? And do I really need one of those Co2 charger things that hold the cartridges?

you might get a few beers out of it before running out of gas in the keg, depending on how much head space is in the keg. keep in mind that all that CO2 gets absorbed into the beer, no different from opening a coke. You're gonna get some way to get some gas pressure on that keg to serve it either by a CO2 charger or just taking your CO2 tank.

The fuller the keg, the fewer the beers you'll be able to serve without a source of co2 pushing the beer. If its full, you'll get only 2-3 pints, if it's 1/2 full, you could serve over a gallon, maybe 2. The beers will pour slower and get flatter as the keg empties.

Latest posts

Back