Belgian Wit Progress

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tslayer

Reaction score
Bottled my Wit 3 days ago and couldn't wait the 10 days to try it. I have been tasting along the way even out of the primary just to understand the changes to expect within the entire brewing process.

I have to say I am extremely happy with the carbonation and color. Color early on was extremely dark and it seems to have lightened up real nice. Has an excellent head on it I am assuming that the torrified wheat helped with this.

My only concern at this point is that it is slightly bitter. Easily drinkable but I would like for it to sweeten up a little. Can I expect this to improve as it conditions in the bottle for a few more weeks?

3/4 ounce Tettnanger hops, boiled for entire 60 minutes
1/2 ounce Willamette hops, boiled for last 10 minutes of 60 minute boil

Beers get more bitter as the carbonation kicks in. They also gain in body.

Don't lose hope, though, the first few weeks after bottling is like puberty for beer. It will change dramatically. I think you'll be surprised.

The bitterness does recede, but only after many months in the bottle. For a wit, you should be drinking ASAP. They are great fresh and young.

3/4 ounce Tettnanger hops, boiled for entire 60 minutes
1/2 ounce Willamette hops, boiled for last 10 minutes of 60 minute boil

What were the alpha percentages of those hops?, that's a bit more telling.

Bitterness does ease down over weeks in the bottle, it has for ever beer I've made. Some if you get tempted and try in one week can be disheartening when you think, "Darn... do I use too much hops??". But if you give it 3-4 weeks in the bottle and try again you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Rev.

Latest posts

Back