Milk Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcLight

Reaction score
Most of the Milk Stout recipes I've seen call for 1 lb Lactose and 2 oz. of hops.
[5 gallon Extract]

I saw one recipe that had just 1 ox of hops and 1/2 pound of sugar.
Why does it have half the hops and half the lactose? Is this because since its not as bitter, it doesn't need the sweetness?

What are your thoughts on ounces of hops (1 vs 2) and amount of lactose (1 lb vs .5)?

I always go for hoppiness. I believe lactose is sold by the pound and not the 1/2 pound. It is somewhat unfermentable so it retains a silky sweet taste and mouthfeel. If this is a 5 gallon batch, I would go with the 1/2 lb and maybe use some oatmeal for a steeping grain. I use regular old fashioned flaked oats for my recipes. I add it pretty much to all of my beers (even the blonde ales) and believe it gives them that extra touch of smoothness/silkyness. Hope that helps. If you go with the 1/2 lb, that would allow you to make another batch down the road

I just got back into brewing after many years hiatus. My first batch was a milk stout as I love it so much. I was very pleased on how it came out as this was my first attempt at an all-grain brew. I am at work (shhhh!) so I don't have the recipe in front of me. However, I did use 1lb. of lactose as my recipe called for, but I find it not as sweet as I prefer and not nearly as sweet as the Mackeson which reminds me of a nice malty milk shake. I would easily go up another 1/4 of a lb. next time if not to a 1/2.

Best

Back